Backstop

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by witbrit, Oct 22, 2015.

1. witbrit

witbrit Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am a new bow hunter and still getting the hang of things. I was at the pro shop last night and they helped with form etc. However, since I am still getting used to everything I have a few arrows that like to go off target. I have a foam block target for the back yard, but need cheap ideas for a back stop as I am sure my neighbors wood fence is not good for the fence and or the arrows. Any body know of any cheap ideas for a backstop. I have heard of using a piece of old carpet. Will that really work?

2. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Multiple layers of carpet may work. Most bows these days it takes a pretty good back stop to keep an errant arrow from going through. There are threads on homemade target/back stops out there on stacking layers of carpet and sandwiching them between boards and tightening them with long threaded rods. Might be a good idea in your situation. You can never be too safe.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Look for somebody getting rid of an old trampoline. the mat can be cut to size and hung behind your target, it would make a perfect backstop.

4. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do NOT allow a miss to deflect over the backstop (10x10 shed) and hit the new fence, poke through both sides, leaving the back half of the arrow on your yard and the front half/practice broad head somewhere in the neighbors yard.
    Only 10-20 yard shots taken in the yard with the 2 targets inside my shed.

5. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have a deck with some height to it? Shoot from that if you do. Any arrow that misses the target ends up in the ground.

We shoot from our deck or the target is up against our shed if we are shooting from the ground.

6. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    carpet works good as stated above... bundled together ya need it to be at least 10 inches thick... hanging loose (like from a clothes line) the flex of the carpet as it gets hit takes alot of the energy from the arrow, in that case 3 or 4 carpets hung 3-4 inches apart will stop just about any arrow.. another option (that I use) is go to your local feed store and buy half a dozen hay bales (straw is cheepest) and stack em behind your target... cover em with a tarp to lessen rot, and replace em once they get shot up or rot

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just go to a grocery store or appliance store and ask if they have any big boxes that you can have. Once you have a few big boxes fill them with old clothes or blankets and seal the boxes with tape. Next wrap the boxes in plastic to protect from rain. It will stop any arrow.

8. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just like he said hay is great and fairly cheap.

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have my bag target hanging under a overhang I had made for it, below it is a shelf that my broadhead targets sit on. Behind the entire mess I have a 4x6 cow mat that is hanging. It stops any errant arrows very well.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thicker landscape fabric will stop the arrows and will not damage the fletching.

11. witbrit

witbrit Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Everyone. I currently went with the cardboard box with old clothes and rags for now. I am getting the materials for the overhang and rubber horse mat. I appreciate all the help!!!

12. ath1089

ath1089 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used a round bale. Seemed to work great for my stray arrows.

13. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A house a few streets down is throwing out a box spring and mattress, wonder how they would do for a backstop - maybe throw some carpet over them? Is this too redneck?