KillZone opening in quiver

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pastorjim08, Oct 20, 2015.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone had a problem with KillZones opening in your quiver. Yesterday when I went to load my bow after climbing in the stand, I noticed the broadhead was open. I've never had this problem before. I'm hoping it was a one time thing.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My uncle said he makes sure to press his blades closed after he knocks an arrow because of that. He shoots the spitfire max. I shoot fixed blade cause i need all the dummy proofing i can get :lol:

3. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't had this issue before with my killzones, but I could see how it would happen. I'm pretty good about checking my broadhead before I nock an arrow in the woods

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    What sort of hood does your quiver have?

The only time I've had this issue is with quivers that have rubber in them and small holes w/notches to hold the broadhead. If you don't align it just right and press your arrow into into the hole the rubber will push back on the tabs and force the blades open.

I'm actually thinking about spraying or inserting some foam into the hood of my quiver and then making my own holes to stop this from happening.

5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had that worry with Muzzy. :ninja:

6. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    It's an Elite quiver and it has a foam liner.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

7. gdatre

gdatre Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's why i like o-ring mechanicals, NAP Shockwave to be exact. Cheap head but super effective.

8. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have not had one open in quiver. That was the primary reason I switched from Rage 2 blade to NAP Killzone. I do not like quivers that have foam in them.

9. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep- Jim I have had the same issue.

Fixed it with paraffin. Just a melted drop in the slot stops this and also quiets down the broad head. I could hear them rattle in the quiver...

10. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do not intend to criticize you Rage users. I do need to ask. With all the issues with them why do you use them? Blades rattling, blades opening, less penetration and not as durable as fixed head, I can't see even considering them. I can't see spending big money a some BH and then having to put wax or a rubber band on them to be able to hunt with them. In today's world of easily tunable bows, great strings, straight/consistent arrows and quality fixed heads that fly true, why not use a solid, fixed broadhead? FWIW, I shot 2 deer with Rage years ago. The first was like all the pictures you see with big holes and lots of blood. The second the Rage looked like a run over pop can with broken tip, bent ferrule and broken blades. That was the last time. I don't see any advantage, just issues.

11. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

This has always been my thought. The cons far outweigh any pros in my opinion.

12. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's one of the con's I had put together on mechanical heads. Seems most people I talked to had blades come open once in a while, either in the quiver or after it was nocked.

13. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It has happened to me once. I have a Tight Spot quiver and I pressed the bh into the rubber a little too far causing it to open. It's only done it once and haven't had a problem again. Good idea to carry the plastic wrench with you just in case or you could use a stick to close it if it happens again. Never had one open in the nock though.

14. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :rock:

15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I convinced my brother to buy Killzones as I love them and he has seen the damage mine have inflicted...he buys them this year and mentioned about a rattle...I said, "No way!" he pulled out 2 arrows and none of them rattled and then his third rattled...it was the post that holds it all together...none of mine do that, but I shoot the 125s....I don't know why that would make a difference tho ...

To the original question, I pulled all foam out of my Soft-loc quiver except for the very top one ...no opening issues at all ....now once they hit a deer, that's another story ....

16. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    I really do see where you anti-expandable guys are coming from and I really don't have a good answer. I have only shot two different mechanicals......Grim Reapers and my current KillZones. Really didn't care for the GRs. Before I shot my current head I shot G5 Montecs. My problem with them was sharpness. It seemed like I could never get them as sharp as I'd like. I also shot Slick-Tricks and I must say that those were scary sharp but I always thought they were a little small. I have also shot Muzzy's. It's a solid head with adequate size and it flew well out of my bow. I really don't know why I went back to the mechanicals and next year I might have to reconsider things. But as for this year I guess I'll stick with the girl I brought to the dance.

Blessings........Pastorjim

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love the blood trails from the killzones....

18. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    That's definitely the upside with those things. I shot two deer with them last year and both went down within sight. The buck I shot produced an unbelievable amount of blood, the most I've ever seen from a bow shot deer.

Blessings........Pastorjim

19. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It would take a lot to open the Killzone in quiver it seems. If it had slots in the foam there should be no issues.

I've been a fixed head guy always but I had a buddy talk me into the KillZone this year. SO I shoot a doe Sunday and it was the most impressive hole I've ever seen. In and out. I will still use a Magnus as well but I'm not afraid of these heads at all.

20. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to the Killzone Maxx this year, due to a buddy talking me into it. I shot a doe with one back in September, and WOW what a hole and blood trail!!

Funny thing is, when I drew back on her, the blades were open for some reason. I am almost positive I caught it on a branch when I picked my bow up. I was able let down, close the blades and shoot her though. My quiver has no foam or rubber in it so it definitely wasn't from that.