This alfalfa?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by sethf11, Oct 19, 2015.

1. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not great with the id here. Not much alfalfa in my area. I have a full field of this as well a field of this and clover. This alfalfa or just weeds?

Also the deer are not hitting the clover at all and haven't seen them eating this either. Any ideas? Sorry to sound like a noob.

ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1445298723.636939.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure about the alfa alfa, but I've been hearing around here has been a really good acorn crop. Could be the explanation for lack of deer in the corn field I've been hunting on and near.

Think I know where my next sit will be, it had a really good drop several years ago, maybe it will have a bounty again.

3. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, it's alfalfa.

4. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any clue why the deer aren't hitting it at all? Too much other food in my area?

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have corn and/or bean fields around? Deer will hit acorns and then corn and beans pretty hard this time of year.

6. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All the corn on the farm is cut. One field is still up on neighboring land but it's like a half mile away and not too big (1 acre). Acorns are falling like crazy and have fallen. Not much sign around the acorns I have sat on. I have sat on them a few nights and nothing. No sign under them at all. No beans around at all. I just think there is a lot of food around as far as acorns and I just haven't found the "hot spot" yet. I shot a deer opening day over the fresh cut corn field. Clover has been left alone. I have one Alfafa field that is pretty secluded in the back behind a few tree lines. I'll take a look there I guess. I'll also check the hillside for oaks as well. Here is a pic of the farm. The X is where I killed a buck opening day.

Bottom middle field is ALFAFA and the smaller one to the south of the X is ALFAFA. Red is my property boundaries. Any thoughts on what looks good??

[​IMG]

7. Bear bow shooter

Bear bow shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    it looks to me like it is older alfalfa so the deer will likely be just chewing off the tops or going deep to the clover or grass. also was the corn chopped or combined? if it was chopped theres not much left but combined there is some whole cobs that the deer will eat.

8. Frydaddy

Frydaddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I was more help, but I did notice that at the end of last week, the deer slowed down on the acorns, and started hitting the winter wheat, hard. Watched 6 bucks chase a doe on Friday Night, and they were out a full hour before dark.

9. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Corn was pretty much cut right down to the ground. Hardly any stalk at all sticking out of the ground. A few pieces of corn here and there but not much. Hardly any tracks in the field or along the field edges.

Im gonna hit the hillside and take a look as well as sit on the alfalfa field that is hidden in the back away from the road. I haven't seen much buck sign at all yet popping up. In NY we are a good 2-3 away from prime time still. I should start to see some sign this week.

This is is a big farm and my first year hunting on it. It's 500 acres. I just gotta find the hot spots. I'll check the clover field as well soon. Just never seen deer hit clover in my area at all.

10. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im guessing that the deer are hitting acorns right now,find the right tree and you will have a hotspot.

11. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Acorns and it has to be the right tree at the right time.