Help with scent control?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just new to the scent control scene of bowhunting, my whole hunting career I just used those little cover scent wafers from HS, if even that. And I would just like to know some tips for starting out, without dropping a fortune on stuff. Is there anything I can do with baking soda to try to save some money?

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Scent control can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. To keep it simple you want to look at four things - washing yourself, washing your clothing/gear, storing your gear and spraying down before going into the field. You can accomplish all of this without breaking the bank and using products that are engineered to be superior to baking soda.

As for washing yourself, pick up a couple bottles of body wash/soap and some shampoo. Use it every day in place of your normal soaps and shampoos with perfumes in them. For under $20 you can pick up enough soap & shampoo to last the entire season. I prefer the Dead Down Wind stuff b/c it doesn't dry my skin out after prolonged use.

A bottle of detergent will run you $12-$15. Wash all of your hunting clothing before you hit the woods, including your under garments. I prefer to wash at least once a week - typically Thurs or Fri evening before I go out for the weekend.

Store your clean clothing in some sort of air tight container. You can do something as simple as a large ziploc bag, a dry bag or a fancy bag designed for hunting storage with all sort of pockets, etc. Ziploc Jumbo bags will run you around $7 at your local box store.

Spray down your stuff before you head into the field. That includes your hands, head, face/hair, and boots. I keep a bottle of Dead Down Wind spray in my truck at all times. $20 will get you 2 good sized bottles which should last quite a while. I don't go overboard with the spray since I've done all my prep work ahead of time to keep thing scent free.

So for about $75 you should be able to get everything you need to handle the core of your scent control for the season. If you want to spend more money you can look at apparel with scent control built in (ScentLok), ozone generators to help remove odor from boots, packs, etc, and a variety of other stuff as well. Although in my opinion you stick with the basics and you'll be pretty good most of the time.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You can get small ozone generators on e-bay for around $40, after the scent free soaps, body wash, spray my next investment would be a small ozone machine and a sealed bin to keep your gear in.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^Great Advice^

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another thing to watch for, when buying unscented products not marketed for the hunter. Check the ingredients or open and smell if possible.

Arm and Hammer unsecnted deodorant for example has talc added. Smells like baby powder. There's a lot of other products out there that do the same thing, advertise as unscented but clearly states fragrance in the inactive ingredients.

Speed stick unscented is the one I use, twice as much and half the price of the hunter specialties products.

I won't use scented soap/deodorant/detergent again until Thanksgiving. Hoping to be tagged out by then as well. Maybe save an antlerless tag for a snow sit in the lae season.

7. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After years of Dead Down Wind stuff, I decided this year to hunt without it. No fancy soaps and no spays. So far, so good.

Arm & Hammer unscented deodorant
    Dove Unscented soap
    ALL unscented laundry detergent

Pro Tip: If you are a heavy sweater use the anti-antiperspirant "Certain Dri". This stuff is like magic in a bottle for guys like me that can sweat through a suit jacket.

8. Walbash

Walbash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wash my clothes in baking soda and air dry outside in wood's. use walmart scent-free body wash and scent free deodorant. when travelling i'll place my fleece/camo in airtight 5gallon home depot bucket with spruce/cedar etc...clippings depending on area I am hunting. IMO can't beat the wind and I alway's wear only rubber boot's try to step in some cow/deer etc. dung omw to woods for a cover and play the wind which is hardest part at times