Anyone else changing it up this year?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, Oct 11, 2015.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The past few years I feel like I have been overhunting the private land I have access to. Add in a few other hunters that use it and not knowing exactly what they do, I figured I would change it up this year. Have talked about it in the past but never followed through.

So far I have not set foot on the property and do not intend to until at least Halloween and hope more for my rutcation 11/5. Currently trying to fill a doe tag or two on public land, and if things playout well, may try to fill one of my buck tags come the rut.

My main buck hunting as of now will be on the private land, I know when and where the deer move and haven't heard of any big bucks being taken the past 2-3 years. That doesn't mean there hasn't been or they are still around, but I like my chances just the same.

Think I have been sitting areas too much and hanging too many cameras rerouting the does and maybe even turning movement more nocturnal.

Don't really care if I mess up a public land hunt, but not trying to. Figure if I can learn a few things on public land it may put me a step ahead on private land.

Normally by now I would have 3-4 sits in and by Halloween triple that.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think you are making a wise decision, it isn't easy but primitive is best when the stands are all fresh.

3. Seth French

Seth French Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is why sometimes I prefer to do afternoon hunts and backpack the stand in, find sign and sit for the evening.
    Keeps things fresh and provides for the element of surprise.

4. KHanne01

KHanne01 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wont be hunting again till the end of this month either. I hunted hard opening week (10/2-10/6), and now I am giving it time to rest. I may be moving a stand tomorrow though. I also have a week off during Michigan's gun season too, so I have time to get it done.

5. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's a logical strategy. I am sort of doing that myself. I located to a brand new property that I've never hunted. I have my stand setup but won't be able to hunt it for the first time this coming weekend if I have time. I've only been out once this season and was successful on a doe, but will ease into the new property. I have vacation on 11/7 to 11/16 so I'm not worried. :tu:

6. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I worry about the same at my place. So for this year I picked up a spot in NY thanks to a friend and some public land scouting. And am looking for another place maybe in PA. I also plan on hunting the public land at my cabin more starting next year, hopefully after I get some hinge cutting and planting done here in the summer and will only hunt here when I have consistent pictures of a 130+ or the rut. It wont be easy, its so nice dressing on the front porch and walking to my spots. But I want this place to be better long term. So if I will be tempted by a 110" buck I would rather it on public land and leg my bucks here feel safer with less encounters with me.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The public land and private land are nearly identical in time to get there. I'm not going to give up time in stand, so figure time is better spent on a doe utilizing disposable public land spots rather than ruining a honey hole so to speak just to be in the woods.

Who knows, might even catch a glimpse of a true public land giant and change it up again. 16,000 acres has to hold something in the upper 170-180 range in western IL.

8. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your making the right choice!! We started making an effort to not "over hunt" our stands last year and ended up having our best year ever. I share 22 stands with 2 other hunters and we have only sat a couple of them twice.

We do plan on getting after it on the 20th though as we will have had a couple of doe come in by then and all the bucks will be up and moving.

Good luck!!

9. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good plan! Good luck