seeking advice for wind and heat today

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Frydaddy, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Frydaddy

Frydaddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    With highs in the mid 80's today in NW Minnesota and winds over 20 mph, I am having a hard time figuring out where to sit. I hunt a river bottom that is about 1/2 mile wide of old growth timber, oaks, and pockets of dense brush. I currently have a stand on an oak ridge that runs down all the way to the creek bottom and a popular deer crossing. The wind is kind of sketchy for the oak stand, but I feel like the creek crossing would be a good spot on a hot day, but I've never had alot of luck with mature bucks over water. Lots of does. I have been chasing a monster buck for 2 years that beds down in a brushy hollow that is right below the oak ridge about 150 yards, and has an old beaver pond, but it's extremely hard to access without making a bunch of noise. I would post a picture off of scoutlook hunting but don't have the know-how. Any ideas? Can a water crossing be a good spot during legal shooting hours? Midday?

2. Frydaddy

Frydaddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Screenshot_2015-10-11-10-06-31.jpg Hopefully this will work. Screenshot of the terrain. The long narrow strip of water to the left of the river is a bedding/staging area. The oak ridge runs all the way from the corner of the corn field down to the river. Thick bedding areas on top, and in the bottom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  3. Frydaddy

Frydaddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Better pics from Google earth. Screenshot_2015-10-11-14-24-57.jpg Screenshot_2015-10-11-14-31-50.jpg

4. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the winds are 20 mph. Noise and scent aren't gonna matter much in my opinion

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Water crossing with this heat should be good. If I were sitting out tonight, that's where I'd be.

I can't believe it's 86* out right now! Going g to be 26* Tuesday am!

6. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I'd stay home (and i did). No sense stinking up your stand in this heat. Save it for next weekend when the temps plummet.

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We're watching the ball game. Too warm for me.

8. hillrunner

hillrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stay home.

9. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    High heat and high winds is the worst possible weather for deer activity.

10. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How'd it go?

11. Frydaddy

Frydaddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I still hunted/scouted the river bottom on the north end, where I don't have any stands, and it was rediculous hot, especially with a pack on. Found out that was a long pond last year, is now a dry deer highway, with lush green grass on both sides for 350 yards, or so, connecting the lower part of 2 ridges. I'm going to stay out of there for the week, and concentrate on work. Next week when the Temps drop, I'll sneak in there, and setup a stand along that stretch. On a side note, the mosquitos were BAD! Walked up on a coyote.....if I would have been walking with an arrow knocked probably could have got him, as he was about 20 yards, broadside. Also, a sow and cub in the same area.