I need a new Release...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by rsf31tmp, Oct 11, 2015.

1. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    .... I have two of the old glove style releases and I like them. But I have found they are fairly cheap and the wear out fast. Last week at school, our 6th grade had an outdoor survival day and I taught archery safety. I must have shot my bows 100's of times each. Well, I brought 3 releases. 1) that I use, 2) my back-up and 3) my son's. 1) was ok, 2) was bad and 3) was ok.....but at the end of the day I missed my 20 yard target with all three releaes....all due to miss fires or a delayed fire. I even last a good arrow. There was no fire and I looked down and then it released. So at this time I feel that none of them are safe to hunt or even pravtice with. I have never put much thought into the release and I am not one to dump big money into something like this. I am looking for a good quality release (of any style) that will last and not ever fail. I really need it to be under $100 and I would look into someone's used one if it was a sure fire, never fail great release!

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a big fan of Scott releases. I am currently using the Wolverine model. Before that I had the Little Bitty Goose but my wife confiscated it when we got her a bow lol. I like releases with the strap then release head because it makes it very easy to put your hands in your pockets.

3. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scott fan also

4. AdamC

AdamC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If u like the glove style and want to stay with that Winn archery makes a good one. I believe it's called a Winn Free Flight

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Releases are one thing I've always chinced on. This is my first year with a nice release, and I must say, I'm shooting noticeably better. Makes sense I guess. First thing competition gun shooters do is drop in a custom trigger. Same applies to us bowhunters.

Whatever you decide on, I'd highly suggest saving money elsewhere in your set-ups. I was wrong in the past to use a cheapo, and I'll never go back.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For what it's worth, I'm now shooting a HotShot Tempest.

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I quit using strap /glove style releases years ago. They steel bar style gets in the way and I have a tendency to hit it on various items in the stand making noise however little that may be. It also has a tendency to get caught on clothing as you add/remove layers or simply taking your hands in and out of your pockets. Additionally the wrist strap can change your anchor point based on what hole you select on the strap specifically if you are shooting with gloves or not.

I like consistency. I'd recommend a 3 finger thumb release. The advantage is you can leave it hang on your d-loop ready for the shot or if it is really cold keep it in your pocket so it it warm to the touch when you go to shoot. It makes all the difference for me.

I to like Scott Archery releases. You may want to take a hard look at SCOTT’s Exxus thumb release.

If you must have a glove / strap style release I would recommend the SCOTT'S Little Bitty Goose as it has a nylon material that connects the release to the wrist strap in place of a metal bar. It's quieter and gets less in the way.

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's another excellent thumb release. IMO. There are quite a few good ones out there!

9. sundevil180shooter

sundevil180shooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Carter quikie. Love em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Scott's Little Bitty Goose with the wrist strap. Excellent release. But Ive been thinking about going with what Heckler said. The reason being, the wrist strap can move around, and gets hung up in clothing and it's also one more thing to collect scent.
    Ive been looking at Scott's Exxus or also the Longhorn hunter.

11. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you just want to buy your last thumb release get a Stan shootoff or SX3...if you want a reasonable cost thumb release for hunting then hot shot vapor is nice. My favorite wrist release is a Trufire hardcore max.

12. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As others have pointed out, I'm a Little Bitty Goose fan as well. I like that it is small and can fit in my hand to avoid clank it off of something unexpected.

13. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For a quality release for not a lot of money, look at the TrueFire Smoke. Just a good wrist strap release.

SCFox