The wind plays me

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by used2belucky, Oct 10, 2015.

1. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone is always talking about hunting the wind. And don't hunt this/that stand unless ... Bla Bla
    Anyone else hunt tiny pieces of land ?
    To me playing the wind means the 100% opposite of what it means to every one else .. Example : if it's a north wind I'll see deer at this spot. But on a south wind the same stand sucks because deer aren't going to come from that house, or that Dunkin donuts parking lot etc .. From years of hunting these properties I know which wind direction will draw deer to which property. Being up or down wind is the last thing I worry about. 25 acre spots you are always down wind ..
    Am I alone on this ? Does anyone else hunt deer as heavily pressured as my area ? Where paranoid deer won't walk any direction but into the wind at all times ??

When you hear a dog start barking, car skidding, landscaper fire up a leaf blower do u grab your bow ? Lol

I've Never seen a food plot.. Alfalfa, corn don't live around here.

Acorn trees early season.. Travel funnels during the rut is my only real strategy.

For the non farm hunters I'd love to share- hear some tips , strategy , stories etc ...

2. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Playing the wind is trying to hunt with expected travel not directly downwind, the rest of your post I'm unable to follow.

3. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On my tiny 10 acres I will sometimes hear some dogs go nuts and then I'll be on high alert. Mostly I just assume the deer don't care.

The wind for me is useless because I don't have a ton of places to move anyway.

But the only good thing is that north of me is a river and directly south is a corn field so that's a huge positive.

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

4. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying to understand how "playing the wind is useless", if you're hunting small parcels it's that much more important if you don't want to spook every deer on the property.

5. used2belucky

Dislikes Received:
    I was completely overdosed on flu meds last night when I wrote this. I wrote it and have no clue what it says, nor remember writing it lol. Sorry

6. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For example I was hunting this year and the wind was blowing in the deers face right off me and he had no clue I was there or hat didn't give a crap.

I should have been more clear. In my circumstance it really is t a factor as long as I don't have cologne on and am eating food and farting. Otherwise they don't care. But I will agree that in most places wind is important.

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

7. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the author has a point. i agree with him. paying too much attention to the wind. its gonna confuse yourself where to hunt. not caring about the wind. you got a 2 chances a bust or a chance to tag a dandy. ive experience that as well.

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMO...Not having the right wind on a small property often means not hunting that property instead of moving to a different spot on the property. Most likely the person is over hunting the property if they are not following the above statement anyway.

9. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can place a stand in the perfect place for a certain wind but if the deer don't show up during that wind the stand is still junk. The best place for a stand may not follow any textbook placement but as long as it gives you the best chance for the land you are hunting than it is the best place to hunt those conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. used2belucky

Dislikes Received:
    The property I've killed 3 of my top 5 biggest were all killed out of the same stand. It's pretty much the only tree in this funnel that I don't look like a olive on a toothpick. All have been killed on a north wind. If there is no north wind I see no deer. I'll take the chance of getting busted. I have no other options. Good thing about this place is deer use it to travel. It's not a farm. Deer don't live there. If he busts me it's all good. I'll probably never see him again anyway. Just a different world here

11. Buckaholic84

Buckaholic84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When the winds not in my favor i try to go higher in the tree. Deer come from all directions where i hunt this year so i dont pay much attention but when it blows over the most used path i try and go higher seems to affect em less when im atleast 20 ft.

In september i was hunting an evening and when i was climbing about 330 i heard like 4 or 5 snorts about 100 yards away. Needless to say i didnt see any deer and didnt get a trail cam pic for 3 days. So i wouldnt say you cant take wind into consideration because they can smell you no matter how much scent control you do.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a2 1/4 acre plot in an area with no crops, I also border a gated community and can hear leaf blowers etc when I am hunting. I have 3 stands around each plot I also have trimmed brush and mow to funnel a travel path that brings deer in a way that they don't come from down wind usually. 1 thing on smaller pieces of land if the old herd matriarch doe busts you up in a tree she will make it a point to bust you every time she comes thru.