I don't get it????

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by bowsie15, Oct 9, 2015.

1. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So a couple buddies and I hunt on some public land that has a good herd of deer on it. Basically been hunting it for about 6 years and have it pretty well figured out. We took a couple bucks out of there so far in the few years hunting here and we all have 2 doe tags this year. Everyone that hunts the area pretty much stays in their area and it's been cordial with everyone. So my buddy goes into his stand to check it out and there's a new stand in a tree 10 yards away looking in the opposite direction. This is what I don't get. If I scout an area and then I see another stand I'm out of there I don't want to be near anyone. Any deer that comes in the area you now have half the chances you would have by yourself. My buddy talked to him and he's not moving it he says he will hunt it when he's not there and he's looking in the other direction so what does it matter.. He's also was hostile with him and this guy knew we were in the area. I just want some opinions on how you guys would handle this????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Deal with it or move your stand.

While it's a "richard cranium" move to set up there, he has just as much right as your group. That's the downside of public land hunting, it's public and open to everyone.

3. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, find a different spot or deal with it. That's the risks of public land and if he's already being confrontational not much is going to be compromised.

4. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's one law I like in WI, that you can't leave a stand up legally overnight. As wrong as setting up a stand next to someone may seem, thinking you can claim a public land spot really just as wrong.

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ya that's the main reason I don't, and most likely will never, hunt public land. As you said most of the guys in there have seemed to have gotten along and then you get the one jack wagon that wants to be the cool guy at school. He probably figures he can bully his way into the area and make you move. There are only two choices and The Clash said it best........

6. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I have private land I can hunt but my buddy is restricted to hunt public on the conservation land. They do put restrictions on how many people the allow in there but if you get one guy that thinks he's special it ruins it for everyone. It just sucks that another hunter would be like that I feel like we are a brotherhood that understands each other without out even knowing the other hunter. I don't get why someone would make it a competition and hostile when I just want to go sit in my stand and relax and not worry about all the every day bull%^* we all go through.

7. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ya that does suck, but like the others said its public. I have been hunting Ohio public for the past 5 years in the same general area, I call it my area but it never truly is, you just have to adapt to the Changes. Not saying run to the hills but you should have other options as in other areas to hunt in the vicinity. Good luck!

8. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    Ya we definitely have other areas I'm just venting. It happens to all of us I don't understand why people get so greedy. It's a decent sized area too there's plenty of other spots just sux when we did all our scouting and homework on the area and someone say hey this must be good there's a stand and puts one right next to it ha ha

9. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not much you can do but get there first. Just because he is there does not make him a hunter could be a shooter.

10. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think it makes him greedy at all. It's possible he hunted else where and saw good movement in that area. Imo it's greedy to put a stand there and expect no one to hunt near that area.

11. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100%. That's why you have to remove your stand when you leave the woods where I hunt. Leaving a stand on Public land is like "staking your claim", and can lead to confrontation.

12. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    Near the area???? He's on top of the stand and We are the greedy ones. Not greedy at all I think it becomes a question of ethics in hunting and I believe most of us seeing another stand would move on.

13. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that he should have but claiming an area on public land isn't ethical either. Imo you should carry your stand in and out every time. This would eliminate people setting up on you.

14. 2005tritontr186

2005tritontr186 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I look at it like this, If you decide to hunt on public land it shouldn't matter if he's in the same tree as you. It's public!!!!

15. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    Ha ha good points like I said I have plenty of private land I can hunt and agree carry out your stand at the end of the day def good idea. My buddies can't hunt the private land I do so we hunt together in public land. It does suck with the more people every year but we get to hunt together so we put up with it. I like the idea of taking stand out every day but half these guys won't so how to enforce it.

16. 2005tritontr186

2005tritontr186 Newb

Dislikes Received:

I agree it does suck but its why I don't hunt on public land

17. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive always gone by the rule if someone is actively hunting an area you move on and find a new spot. I agree that the new guy should move to another spot. Theres lots of public land where I'm from so you dont need to hunt on top of one another

18. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    That's all I'm saying ha ha

19. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt public almost exclusively. I take my stand in and out with me daily. Most do. But I am of the opinion that putting a stand up doesn't claim a spot.
    Personally, if someone is parked in a spot that could potentially have them hunting the same spot as I intend to, I move on. I expect the same courtesy. Sure it sucks when someone beats me to "my spot" but that's the breaks of the game.
    Other people can find the spots I hunt just like I found them. Just because I found them first (did I really?)doesn't make them mine. First come first served, day to day basis, regardless of if there is a stand hung. Jmo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

20. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not that there's any real competition for hunting space where I hunt, but since I prefer to be in the woods about an hour before first light (during the rut), it gives me the chance to see (flashlights) any other hunter that might be entering "my woods". lmao I give the old flick the light on and off, and most often they'll give you a wide birth. Guys are good about that where I hunt. I don't usually encounter others though, thank God.