Looking for another camera arm...not happy with my Muddy

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Matt/TN, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I decided to put this here since it gets a little more traffic. I'm looking for another camera arm that's top notch quality and preferably more reach than the Muddy Outfitter. My setup is a Canon G20, Manfrotto MV500AH, and Rode Videomic with Lyre Suspension. No too heavy but I want it rated for more than 10lbs

My Outfitter has too much "slop" for my liking. It really wants to wiggle more than I would like. If I level it with the arm to the right, when I move it left its out of level. The vertical adjustment squeaks when adjusting. I'm just not satisfied. I fixed the squeaking but the wiggle room drives me nuts. If I had a lighter setup it wouldn't be as noticeable.

I need some recommendations. Ive looked at 3rd arm but unsure where I can buy. Or a higher end muddy. Im looking for some first hand testimonies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    3rd arm is closing shop so it's doubtful you'll be able to get one from them. You can give them a call though - may be able to get a good deal.

I've been pretty happy with my Muddy Pro arm, which is a touch larger than the Outfitter. Only used it a handful of times so far this year but it's worked well.

Also take a look at Lightning camera arms. I saw them at a trade show and they looked intriguing. Haven't actually tested one out though.

3. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been overly impressed with my muddy pro. It squeaks right where the arm attaches to the base in that pivot point. Have to grease the piss out of it before every sit. I love how quiet it is to setup with the silent strap but hate how loud it is when panning with it... Might call 3rd arm see if they have any left in stock

4. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I was really hoping you would reply Justin because I knew you went to a Muddy Pro. I like everything about the muddy but it has too much play in the top pivot point. Drives me nuts.

Always going on with 3rd arm? No one purchased the design? Doesn't Todd use those?

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like my Muddy Pro. I have the MVH502AH head and use my Canon 70D with the Video Mic Pro. It does have some bounce to it when fully extended, but I think all arms do to a point. I haven't had any noise issues with mine like Ryan has.

6. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I tried tightening the bolts as best as I could. We will see if it improves, if not, I'm buying another one and selling this one. It'd be great for lighter weight setup

7. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Me either but I do get noise from the vertical adjustment but I may have fixed that

8. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 3rd Arm Pro Extreme, it is a bit overkill but wow is that thing SOLID!! I love it, but will probably change when I get a new camera, as it is overkill now. I am running an older Canon GL2, Manfrotto MVH500AH with LANC remote, and that arm doesn't bounce a millimeter. The reach is great as well.

9. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I remember SharpEyeSam mentioning the Lightning Camera Arms as well. Perhaps you can contact and tell Muddy your problems and maybe they will help you in some way.

10. Arrow+Assassin

Arrow+Assassin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think it's just your setup..

I have a Canon HFM40 with a DM100 shotgun mic and my Muddy Outfitter seems to "slip" on the tree during a fully extended left to right motion. My camera setup doesn't weight more than 2lbs if I had to guess, even fully extended I don't see why the arm should slip; especially with how I strap that thing down.

Granted this is my first year self filming and I have roughly 12 sits with the Muddy Outfitter but for the price, I'm not overly impressed. The Outfitter model comes with a ratchet strap, so setting up silently isn't feasible. It's not sturdy enough to support lightweight cameras while fully extended, especially while moving left to right or vice versa. Mine also squeaks terribly while vertically adjusting the arm as well, maybe some WD40 would help this??

11. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I think some sort of grease would be way better than WD40, and not just because of the smell.

What I did was run the big vertical adjustment screw all the way out and then took a stick of crossbow rail lube because that's the first thing I came across at the store. I just coated the threads then ran it in all the way, then back out, and wiped off the excess. Problem solved. I think it should hold up alright.

I've found a decent way to run the ratchet that's not too bad.

The issue I have is I can't stand the amount of play in it. It's not possible to have it level in more than one spot. I've used it on 14/15 sits (missed one because of rain). I have what I believe is a really good, respectable setup and this thing is a major weak link.

I'm just not happy with it and refuse to just deal with it. I may contact Muddy and see if they have any recommendations

12. Arrow+Assassin

Arrow+Assassin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't bothered with my Vertical axis knob (yet) but I will probably follow suit with how you handled the situation.

My guess, I haven't tried this yet not sure why..
    is to cam lock the tree mount before installing the arm. I'm not sure if you're familiar with cam locking hang on tree stands (such as lone wolves) but to strap it down & tighten. Then push the mount up and down against the tree then tighten a second time with the ratchet strap.

Honestly if this doesn't work it probably has to do something with the mount and how it grips the tree. I could see them not being wide enough on the large trees and when they're moved that right to left movement throws it off. The way the mount's "claws" are designed it looks as if they're meant for any vertical motion but not horizontal...

That's my take on it and what I've noticed out of my Outfitter. Please let me know what Muddy says (if you contact them) because I'm interested in how to deal with this problem as well.

13. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    My issue isn't how it attaches to the tree, it's actually the top pivot point itself. I've tried tightening the bolts as much as I can. I haven't been out since then thiugh

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Seems odd that you'd have slop there (I'm assuming it's the joint between the two arms). If you can get that taken out by tightening, I'd contact Muddy.

15. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    using an older model lone wolf and love its size. and it is dead quiet.

16. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used the Muddy Outfitter for 2 years and had good luck with it. But after going with my dual main cam setup, there was a lot of bounce. I went to the Muddy Hunter and it's super solid. It's big and bulky though.

17. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. The issue is they're hex bolts but very shallow and metric. Hard to tighten without rounding them out

18. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  19. Tenacious

Tenacious Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Viper Tree Arm

Guys,

Here is the last tree arm I will buy, well worth the money! Viper Tree Arm.jpg Viper Tree Arm 1.jpg