Changing dripper in mock scrape?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jnanstad1, Oct 7, 2015.

1. jnanstad1

jnanstad1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey its my first year doing a mock scrape and i'm using Tinks Power Scrape in central Wisconsin. Was wondering when people recommend changing from the scrape starter to the pre rut finisher? I was thinking mid October was a good time but would like some suggestions from people with experience.

2. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You will be way further ahead to use a pre-orbital scent. Deer pee is in the woods by the gallons and has a "so what " response. If only hunters would get their minds off of deer pee, they would have much better success with mock scrapes.

3. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep...I like the code blue rack rub gel or other pre-orbital/forhead gland scent...rub that on a licking branch...clear the ground to dirt and piss in it. I haven't been too happy with the power scrape...it just pours $$ out onto the ground. The grave digger granular stuff seems like a better deal.

4. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    +1 for the rack rub gel, seems to last longer and you don't have to refill anything.

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use pre-orbital lure as well but I don't skip the deer pee because it adds to the realistic factor. Maybe it just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside and actually does nothing. Either way, that's what I do.

6. Dampland

Dampland Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use Code Blue Rack rub on my licking branches, and then alternate my urine, buck urine, active scrape, and maga tarsal into the actual scrape. I want that buck to think that a whole bunch of intruders are hanging out in his "hood".

About the 25th of October, I'll start to add some doe-n-heat urine to the scrapes showing daylight buck activity. And Will try to hunt down wind of those scrapes by 75 yards.

Other than that, I only use scrapes for trail cameras, and not for hunting.