Squirrel hunting while on stand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by t8rsalad, Oct 6, 2015.

1. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I've mentioned my suburban bowhunting property in the past. After a few sits, I'm seeing roughly a 20-1 squirrel to deer ratio right now. My question is this: Do any of you attempt to take any squirrels while in stand on a slow day (whether this is with a small game headed arrow or a quiet pellet gun)? If you're gutsy enough to try, how many times would you typically fire during a sit?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Either deer hunt or squirrel hunt.

3. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Sota

4. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep...

5. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I keep a squirrel arrow handy.

6. KY72

KY72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always carry a squirrel arrow as well. I've killed 2 this season already. Haven't had an opportunity at a deer yet.

7. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if a pellet gun would be considered a "weapon" or not but I believe we aren't allowed to carry two weapons while hunting unless you have a concealed carry permit in ohio.

But I normally have a squirrel arrow in my quiver. With the exception of last year I usually get a squirrel or two a year. Really builds your confidence. Doesn't taste to bad either.

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I should. The creek bottoms i hunt are loaded with nothing but hardwoods.... some of the fattest squirrels ive ever seen in my life. Heads the size of tennis balls

9. Johnny Miller

Johnny Miller BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    When my cousin was 12 and first started hunting by himself in WI.(back in the 80's) My uncle drops him off at his stand and when he comes back to get him all of his arrows are sticking in the ground around his stand. Shot every one of them at squirrels. Still a good story, would have been funny if a big buck had come by and he didn't have any arrows left.

10. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why take the chance? We spend tons of money on stands and scent control, and camo. Not to mention the countless number of man hours we put in to getting it all perfect, if perfection can be achieved. Why take the chance in spooking that deer you just didn't see or hear yet that has crept up from nowhere?

I have hunted all my life and in my experience deer don't wave big flags saying "here I am" and lets you prepare. Taking a shot on any other animal may in fact run off the deer you were after.

In the backpacking world we have a saying, Hike your own hike, meaning, don't tell me how to hike my adventure. Me personally, I would rather sit and watch the squirrel, that's one of the beauties of hunting, to experience wildlife. But if you would rather eat a squirrel instead of deer, by all means, "Hunt your own Hunt"

11. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only shoot trophy squirrels

12. Paulmorrison

Paulmorrison BHOD ProStaff

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot them if they bark at me and if there a good solid 4 year old lol really depends on the time of day and year..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Valid point. I've always had the mindset of if life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Similar to if you see a coyote or a turkey and have the tag, why not? The story from Johnny is probably the reason I have not done so yet. I've got a squirrel nest probably 7/8 ft above my stand, so I have plenty of opportunities. I'd move trees, but there are so few that are big enough to support a stand, it is what it is at this point.

14. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I usually try to ignore squirrels. But this year in Ohio if I get a chance at one of those fat red squirrels I'm taking it.

15. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A coyote I believe would be different. We have so many around here that DNR is asking for hunters to help bring the population down. They are putting a hurting on fawns. My dad worked with DNR and biologist when he was put over the hunting department at work. They tagged 100 pregnant does. This tag would attach itself to the fawn when she gave birth. I can not remember the exact numbers, sorry, but out of 100 tags, like 60 something were tracked to coyote dens. The mortality rate for fawns are pretty high due to coyotes.

Shooting a squirrel, who poses no threat to the deer population, I just don't believe is worth taking the chance of missing out on shooting the next state record buck, who just might be 75 yards out and you just haven't seen him yet.

Anyway, as far as life giving you lemons, being able to watch squirrels jump around from tree to tree would be the lemonade. Gives you something to occupy your mind. I have been watching squirrels before and glance back to where my corn is (baiting is legal here) to see a deer eating. Just that quick.

My 2 cents :)

16. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How does the tag attach itself to the fawn when it's born? I'm not being a smart a$$, just curious?

17. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  18. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  19. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, i didn't mean to get the thread off track, was just wondering how they did that?

Brad

20. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's cool, still kinda on topic. But yeah, if you want more information on it, I can see if my dad remembers anything. Just PM me or something. That was a few years ago, he is retired now and his memory is not all that great. But he loves to talk about stuff like that.