Hunting Scrape Lines

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by [email protected], Oct 6, 2015.

1. ryantbrehmer@gmail.com

[email protected] Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in north western WI on 160 acres. On the way to my stand on 10/03/2015 (first time out) I came across a heavy scrape line. The main part of the scrape line is aprox 150 yards away from my tree stand, but my tree stand is on a heavily used travel way that I believe bucks will travel on. The scrape line is aprox 75-100 yards long and has 10 scrapes and 3 rubs on it so far. With such a dominate scrape line, should I move my set over to the scrape line and hunt it or should I stick it out on my ridge that is a major travel way but off the scrape line? I have a hard time moving due to my past success on the travel way my stand is on now, but I don't want to miss out on a good opportunity with how much buck sign there is on this scrap line. Any help?

2. Whitetailfreak52

Whitetailfreak52 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would move a camera in there and try and figure out what time of day all the scrapes are being worked and which way the deer are coming from and go from there.. The big problem with hunting scrapes is most of the time its all being done at night. You may get a chance if a cold front moves through and gets them moving during the day.

3. AdamC

AdamC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have hung cameras over natural scrapes and as said above It was all night action I got.

4. ryantbrehmer@gmail.com

[email protected] Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I moved my trail camera along the scrape line last Sunday and I'm going back out this weekend so I will see what comes of it. If there is daytime activity of Bucks on it, I think I will move my set there while it is still early October and then move back to the condensed travel way towards the end of October when the Bucks start chasing.

5. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Often times bucks will set those up and visit them at night like others have said. It is not uncommon for them to scent check that line from downwind 50-80 yards out during the daytime.

6. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree stick to your stand on the travel route and try to figure direction and time of travel From your camera. Keep in mind all could be from a single buck. One camera at your stand and one at scrape line?

7. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would keep ur setup right where it's at. If there's a dominate buck calling that area home making those rubs and scrapes, when estrous gets in the air he'll hopefully come right down the travel corridor ur set is on. But that's just me and I hate moving setups this close to the best hunting time of the year.

8. ryantbrehmer@gmail.com

[email protected] Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the advice! I'll see what happens this weekend.

9. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i
    This^ set up down wind on a parallel trail to the scrape line...he'll probably come stage in the cover downwind right before dark and you can ambush him here

10. ryantbrehmer@gmail.com

[email protected] Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Scrape Line Pictures

Here is one of the bucks working the scarp line. Had the cam out for 6 days and got these pictures of him. I have a decent idea of where he is going to and coming from so wish me luck!

Attached Files:

11. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect example of how he is visiting them during the night. Definitely a sign that you'd be wasting your time right over them, at least right now. Perhaps a parallel trail can be found that's down wind or get closer to where you think he's bedding.

12. ryantbrehmer@gmail.com

[email protected] Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That is exactly where I am setup right now. I am aprox 100-150 yards Northeast of the scrape line on a heavy travel way that funnels together on the bottom of a ridge. So we will see what comes of that. If nothing, I have a good idea of a spot jus south of the scrape line that he may be using. I will be out this weekend and there is a big cold snap coming where we will see temps in the 20's, so the bucks should be up on their feet.

13. MI-Longbow-Freak

MI-Longbow-Freak Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would stay where you are now. The buck that runs the scrape line isn't gong to just travel that line He still has to eat and drink an bed. And of course chase does when rut starts he will come off the path. And I remember being told wen I was younger that the line he travels will face where he is bedding to where he is feeding or to another bedding area. I don't really hunt scrape lines so that's my input.