The Struggle of Balance

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shocker99, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well i watched opening day come and go.... kids, work, priorities. Ive been working so much (i guess in todays world thats a blessing). My oldest daughter (7yrs old) started soccer this year and the games are every weekend. I also have a 9 month old daughter and a wife that works full time. It gets pretty frustrating when there isnt enough time in the day, week, or year to do what we love without doing it half ***. Sometimes i feel selfish because i know that Family/work should come before Hobby and yet i get mad because i have all this other "stuff" i have to do. But its more than a hobby, its a passion. Its in my blood and probably everyone elses thats on this site. Hunting/Fishing goes back generations in my family. So i remember that i really cant help it. It consumes my thoughts on an almost unhealthy level. But it still has to come second to our priorities. I will Never put it before . I know one day my kids will be grown and out of the house and i will be glad i was there to see them grow up. My buddies dad said that was one of his biggest regrets in life. He would go hunting with his kids hanging on his pant legs begging him to stay home and play with them. But he would go anyway. He said "if you want to be a hardcore hunter then dont get married and have kids, itll save you alot of guilt"

In the end its all about finding a balance. I chose to be a family man. Im glad i did. So opening day for me wasnt Oct 1st. Its gonna be Oct 7th and i can hardly wait.

Will i get to hunt as much as id like? No. But im fortunate enough to have a healthy family , a job and a passion that is waiting out there for me everyday of the season. Rain or shine. There is no "Sorry we're Closed" sign on the woods. When i find the time, Mother Nature is always waiting.

Good luck to everyone this season, on killing trophies and finding that balance in life.

2. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    youre doing it exactly how my dad did it. stay positive. itll only help the relationships that will last far longer than the hours in the stand. im 17 years old now and absolutely live and breathe hunting. when i was a lot younger however, id play fall sports and my dad would always put the tarp on the boat and the guns in the gun cabinet to come watch me play. he still doesnt know how much it means to me that he hasnt missed one sporting event since i started. now, i just play baseball. since it is a spring sport, my hunting season is generally open with the exception of a few showcase tournaments at various universities. him always being there for me has made us grow closer, and i know its something he will never regret. i have the most respect for you and my dad because its fathers like you that will always have the family relationships that many people truly endeavor, but that isnt made without work. goodluck this season whether its on the soccer field or in the stand.

3. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    good move man.....that's a real man.....

God will bless you for it....I bet you kill a nice one this season!! Good luck!

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks to me like you have found balance, and that balance is tipped in the right direction. They are only young once, and when they are grown, you will ask yourself; where the time went. Glad to hear where your priorities are.

Blessings........Pastorjim

5. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like Ps Jim said they are only young once and hunting is till you die there is time:tu: God Bless

6. AdamC

AdamC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very good post!!! Thanks for the reminder !!!! Good luck this season

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been there, didn't hunt for 10 years because I was too busy with work and coaching football. Kids are grown and off to college now have all kinds of time now.

8. Stay_Sharp

Stay_Sharp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We all have been there. Family first.