Should I move my stand?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put up a new stand in a whole bunch of oaks, I hunted it today, and figured out just how close it was to a house. Pretty much the whole time, I heard dogs battling, cows mooing, and people yelling at their kids. The location is on a hill over looking a really small creek, and another hull across from the creek with more oaks, it's also right back behind a field where the deer are coming from. Where I have the stand there is a lot of deer droppings, but not too many trails. Well where I hunt you hardly see well used trails in the first place. I like the location because it had easy entry and exit. But would the house be a bother and I should find a new patch of oaks, or keep hunting there?

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You heard it once, them deer hear it all the time. You'd be surprised at how much commotion they will tolerate outside of people actually coming into the woods.

I wouldn't worry about it if the sign is there and acorns are plentiful.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  3. mikeb75

mikeb75 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He's right! The deer are use to it! Don't worry about it if there's sign there then stay there. I shot a buck last night where they are developing a sub, and earlier in my sit I heard a dirt bike ripping it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

4. livetohunt28

livetohunt28 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How close are you to the house? Just make sure your legally far enough away. I'm sure you are and I'm not telling you something you don't already know. I personally don't like hunting that close to house's due to the commotion and noise. I know deer can be tolerant and use to it, but I just prefer seclusion if available... so do those big bucks. Of course you always hear the story of nice buck being shot right behind a house. Is it your only set or do you have others? The mornings are probably pretty quite, I'd assume, but the evenings could get prerty bad, especially if your limited to weekends. The homeowners will usually be out if the weather is nice. However, I do agree with the others, if the sign is there and the deer are in there feeding on the acorns, I say go for it! Always nice having an easy entrance and exit strategy too. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

5. rajela

rajela Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The people, dogs and cows want bother them a bit...they will come and eat as long as they don't see anyone in the woods. In fact some deer prefer to be next to a place like this. If there is no people pressure then they will just hang out and enjoy their self's.

6. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i agree with these guys. ive hunted in stands where i can see this stuff going on. kids playing in the yard, four wheelers cutting up, people making bonfires. the biggest deer ive killed have come off of stands like this. the deer hear that on all the days that im not there, so they are used to it. if they hear a gunshot or anything, theyll look up but not pay any further attention to it. keep your stand where its at and hunt it hard. goodluck

7. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have deer in my back yard and just last week there was four right behind a old rail road car about 70 yards from my front door. But sadly I will be moving again. Maybe rent a place with 32 acres to hunt, that would be great. The other option is to move in town which is not preferred because there's no place to hunt.

8. tomcamaro97

tomcamaro97 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    my two most active stands are the ones closest to houses... they are better areas for travel/food, which is why they are there, but they dont care.. like everyone else stated.. hunt it hard..

9. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In oaks are the best place for your stand. I have seen deer pass over corn and food plots to get to acorns. I am 40 years old and have hunted since I could walk and know what I have just told you from years and years of experience. If you got a good acorn crop this year, the deer will be all over it.

Now, as for the domestic noise, it will drive you crazy before it does the deer. Our best stand is about 75 yards from our neighbor's house. He is out talking loud and baming on stuff all the time. Drives me nuts. But we have killed more deer out of that stand because of the good oak flat we have there. That same stand is about 125 yards from our house and our two dogs bark at every leaf that falls or the wind stirs up. One of the biggest deer I killed was while my dogs were barking at God knows what. He lifted his head towards the house then put his head down and started eating again. This stand is also about 15 yards from the road. Our road is not travelled heavily, but I have seen deer pick their heads up and watch the car go by, then drop their head and continue to eat.

So, if you have good deer sign, leave the stand. The deer sign should be a good indication that the domestic noise doesn't bother them. Good Luck

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  10. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The law in my state is 150 yards from an occupied dwelling(house or even shed I believe)

11. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I once arrowed a deer while kids were screaming 70 yards up a hill behind me. Residential deer get used to an awful lot of noise and disturbance, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

12. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Only move it if you do scouting and find a better option.