I hate the dark

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kurveball18, Oct 5, 2015.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll admit it, I hate walking to my deer stand when its black out. Some of my walks are pretty far and was wondering how some of you guys try to overcome the fear of the unknown persay. Also, can any of you recommend a good cap light that is bright? I know having a light on might spook some deer but if that's what it takes for me to feel comfortable then i'll use it to get to my stand and then turn it off.

2. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hate the dark, too. My husband laughs at me - but it's the unknown. My newest stand is a good 15-20 minute walk through woods (this is a big deal because I used to hunt right off a path on a field). He bought me a head lamp that has a green, red, and white light. Deer aren't supposed to be able to see the green light (or so I thought?!) But I keep it pointed at the ground when I walk, makes me feel better. Once to my stand I do not use any sort of light.

3. ruteger

ruteger Guest

99.99% of the time whatever is out there is more scared of you than you are of it. It's that .01% of the time you need to be very worried about. Also, I've heard that the more scared you are that your chances of getting attacked are greatly increased because predators can smell fear like it's wounded animal. (kidding of course... or am I?)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2015
  4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just keep going out in it. The more you do it, the less scary it is.

5. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with fitz. I have quite a bit of coyotes on the property and when they are howling in the dark around me it can get spooky

6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There are times when it can be a bit spooky walking to or from your stand in the dark, so don't feel to bad. I usually feel a bit spooked when I hear the yotes getting started. I would always recommend a light going to and from your stand for a number of reasons. First, it let's someone else who might be there that you are a human and not an animal to blindly shoot at. Also a good light helps you to navigate better through downed limbs or other things you might trip over in the dark.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

7. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a huge fan of the dark myself. But when I walk through the woods I walk with confidence, I try to be quiet but remember that I'm out there for so many good things! Plus I try to remember that when the forest wakes up with the sun is one of the best things ever! And Fitz is right, the more you do something the less scary it is! :tu:

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Put on your big boy underpants and walk out there.

9. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not afraid of the dark, the critters don't freak me out...well, with the exception of one critter. I hate the dang orb weaver spiders...these giant freaks love to build their web at head height across trails. I always walk in with my bow out in front of my face to knock these demons down because if I ever walked into one, I'd probably have a heart attack right there and die!

10. ruteger

ruteger Guest

^ This.

Also, I get bears and coyotes on my game cameras all the time. I've even had a bear jump out of an apple tree less than 3 yards away and runaway as I was walking out from my stand one night. It hasn't stopped me from walking in and out in the dark. But if you've tried to get over the fear and can't, I'd recommend the headlamp over a hat with lights because you can more easily choose the default direction of the light on a headlamp over just having a fixed direction on the hat, so you can find what works best for you. Try to tough it out though!

11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not scared of the dark. I worry about running into the Bear or Wolves. The 12 ga with 00 help with that.

12. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    HAHA you sound just like my dad. My dad is colorblind and says he can see in the dark. Well he worded it this weekend that he has Buck eyes lol. I try to tough it out and I make it work. Any suggestions on a good headlamp that clips on the brim of a hat. I know their are a lot of cheap ones but would like something maybe a bit better. I've always used the white light but thinking about getting one with green or red.

13. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly, We do have some bears wondering around but I've only seen one once. Usually get them on cam every year to let me know they are their. I only carry a .40 cal pistol with a dozen rounds of 180g fmj

14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My grandfather said something to me when I first started hunting that still rings in my head today. "There is nothing out there in the dark thats not there in the daylight".

Unless you're in the western states with grizzlies and wolves, I would not worry a bit. I would probably be more worried about some nut job crack head out in the woods than any animal.

15. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah here in NJ there's nothing to be worried about in the dark. Bears are here but rare and when I do see them they are very much skittish. And coyotes are not to popular at all. I don't mind walking in and out of the dark. But the petzl e lite is a great little light that is perfect for going in and out of the stand. And you can clip it to the brim of a hat. It also has a red setting in high and low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For under $10 it's hard to beat the Cyclops micro LED light that clips on to your hat.

http://www.amazon.com/Cyclops-CYC-M...444062537&sr=8-1&keywords=cyclops+micro+light

I almost always use a light when walking into my stand in the dark. Not so much if I'm walking across an open field where I want to remain hidden but once I hit the timber the light comes on. I'd rather know where I'm walking and be quieter than I would be getting turned around, walking into stuff and stepping on branches the entire way in. IMO making excessive noise on your way in is going to spook a lot more deer than a small light on your head.

As for the getting scared part - you'll get over it as you get older. I used to carry my knife in my hand when I was walking in the dark back when I was 14 or 15. :lol:

17. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Watch the blair witch project the night before.

18. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you've ever stepped on a hissing possum at 5:00 in the morning you won't go in the woods without a light again. I had to clean my pants out. I take my lamp with the red lamp and carry a backup light in my backpack ( along with a S&W .45 for the yotes) You will become less afraid as time goes on.

19. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here on Long Island the only thing to be worried about is the other people!! No predator`s here!! Fox, but skittish as all hell!

20. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never stepped on a possum, but flushed enough partridge