Winter Wheat Question

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Battle734, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Battle734

Battle734 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So the farm where i hunt just planted winter wheat in the field where i hunt. its about 1 inch tall at the moment. i was wondering if anyone knows when the deer may start munching on this. will they wait for it to be fully grown? and how long does it take to grow? never hunter over wheat before.

2. AdamC

AdamC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They should start hitting it as soon as it comes up. That's what they do with mine anyway and they stay on it all fall and winter

3. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like mentioned, they will start right away but the majority of the feeding wont be until a little later I'm guessing. Mine is about 8" right now. I haven't seen any change in eating from 1-8". Crops are coming out and being tilled under so I imagine that along with cooler temps will get them coming to it more often.

4. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Our winter wheat was planted two weeks ago Wednesday. Last night a few does and right at last light a mature buck where feeding on it.

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When all the other more desirable food is gone then they will hit the WW more. Right now it probably isn't on the top of their list. But it will stay green and will attract them later.

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what other food sources are available. Like Brad said, though, the beauty of WW is that it will stay green longer and they will be pawing to get to it when other desirable food sources are long gone.

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have acorns all over right now. The deer here are not interested in the oats or the wheat right now.

8. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Samething here....We have acorns everywhere, and although I have seen deer in my plots, the main attraction at the moment here in Virginia are White Oaks.....
    Creeks

9. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where I'm at winter wheat doesn't get hit really hard until December/January. Or after a big snow they'll pound it pretty good. It seems like around here until the the acorns, standing beans, and corn are gone the deer don't give the winter wheat much attention. That being said, I think our WW field is key to holding deer on us through the winter. It's great nutrition when everything else is gone and dead