What do you rattle with?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tc racing, Oct 4, 2015.

1. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    guys, tell me your preferences on your favorite ratting device. real antlers, synthetic antlers, rattle bag, etc.

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I rattled in a giant from 300 yards away with my rattle bag. Never could get him close enough. When he didnt see the fight he circled and trued to wind me only to vanish. So im a believer in the bag its also convenient sized. But i guess nothing sounds like the real thing

3. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got a set of sheds from cabelas. They're real antlers so they sound great. Only down side is that they're about $100

4. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a set of shed I found, 100$ for ratteling antlers!! Man I can start selling my collection and pay some bills,haha.

5. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Real antlers off an 8 pt. I cut off the brows to keep from busting up my knuckles.

6. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Antlers off an 8 pointer killed several years back by a buddies dad.

I hear the black rack is a pretty good rattling tool also if I were to ever go away from these I'd buy that.

With that said, I don't bother rattling much in the early season - I think most bucks just tickle the antlers this time of year and I'm not real sold it draws other bucks in. Plus I am not confident I can authenticate it well enough to convince them it's actually real.

I've learned not to kid myself in the woods - be who and what you are and try and be good at it. Use to believe in cover scents to hide my scent, grunt calls and rattling antlers on and on - over thinking it. Play the wind, study trail camera data, stay scent free - beat emm!

Probably more than you were looking for but just wanted to say that - I use antlers in the first 3 weeks of November and that is about it.

7. treyman654

treyman654 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the black rack...rattled in a small buck this evening. it was fun to watch him scurry around looking for the fight

8. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Knight & Hale pack rack because I do not rattle very often and they are nice to keep in the bottom of my bag just in case

9. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use rattling sticks.. I've only seen them in the local hunting shop at my old home town, I bought them about 5 years ago, they were cheap and it was when I was just getting in to archery. I don't remember who they're made by and I looked all over the internet to see if I could find them with no luck. What they are is 2 sticks with ribs (made out of some type of hard plastic), you rub them together to make them sound like antlers, one of them is a grunt call and the other is a bleat call (which I don't use the grunt or bleat calls with them). I've rattled in several buck with them, they're somewhat compact so they're easy to carry around but I'm sure they're not as nice as a real set of antlers. I have yet to get a deer (that I was willing to cut off the antlers on to use as rattling antlers) or find sheds big enough to use as good rattling antlers, so until then I'll stick with the sticks because they work lol.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  10. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Real antlers from an 8 point I shot years ago.

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Real antlers I've found shed hunting. I tried the rattle bag but to me the sound is completely different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used real antlers, bags and a few others. My dad has also used them. We have rattled in bucks with all on the. The bag is nice because its compact but the antlers are great too. The down side with antlers is when you smash your fingers on a cold day. Hurts like a son of a..... I carry both antlers and a bag when its rut.

13. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I carry the Black rack, cant say ive ever rattled anything in but I like the way they sound and they pack nice.

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I typically rattle with my hands, found they grip my shed antlers or rattle bag the best. I've experimented with a rattle bag hanging on a hook and using foot but just doesn't do it as well :evilgrin:

15. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Real antlers from my first buck. I've had a bag but it sounds a little different

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a set of antlers I bought to rattle with. I paid $28 for them. I have used the Knight and Hale Rattle Pack and a Rattle bag in the past.

17. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the pack rack, I feel the setup is more important than the sound although it sounds quite real and sure easy to pack in quietly.

18. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only time I've ever rattled was in Alberta, where the buck to doe ratio was like one buck to maybe three doe. These bucks do fight for does, and respond to rattling like it's nobody's business! I used a set of real 8pt antlers (with the brow tines cut off).

Rattling spooks deer in my woods here in Pa, because the bucks don't have to fight for a doe. There's plenty to go around. I've never heard 2 bucks fighting where I hunt.

19. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to carry sheds Id found, but I thought the we're cumbersome at times. I switched the knight and hale pack rack. It's more compact, and I still get good response to it

20. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sheds I found that came off 150" class deer. The thing I like most about the real antlers is that you can vary the sound. By that I mean you can have the loud crash then move into clicking the tines and so on. I rattle in a couple of deer every year and have shot 2 that I rattled in it is effective but I only do it in the morning after first light just my thing I guess.