How close is too close for stands?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tkarrow, Oct 4, 2015.

1. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt a small a parcel... 25 acres? I have year after year, got a deer from one stand location but I think that at times, larger bucks tend to avoid my stand location in favour of more dense brush. My stand overlooks a clearing about 55 years across. I am thinking about a second stand spot for the "peak period" but it might only be 60-80 years away. Is that too close?
    Thanks, Tom

2. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely not, sometimes all it takes is minor adjustments to make big things happen!

3. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 23 acres. I have two 1/4 acre food plots with a stand each. A hang on stand on the back side of my place on an old logging road and a blind set up across my pond. I have a climber I move to different spots depending the acorns. I can tell you from experience that there are different deer at different spots. 23 acres with 5 stands.

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I had 3 stands within 45 yds of each other.

In the below image, the south dot is a ladder stand my uncle has had for years. I got tired of watching the deer skirt by 35 yards to the north, so I placed a hang on at the north mark. I hung my lone wolf at the east dot last year just to switch it up and add a new zone. I could still shoot 80% of the deer that were traveling through, but opened up about 5 more opportunities.

It's not about how many stands are concentrated in an area, but more of how often you hunt them.

[​IMG]

5. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is a screenshot of my 23 acres and stand locations. Hope it helps. And good luck.

Screenshot_2015-10-04-19-32-58.jpg

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Those dots aren't exact :lol: Hard to pinpoint trees when the canopy is full

7. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your screenshot came out pretty big and mine small. Because I used my phone maybe? Hope you can see it. Lol

8. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely not and a climbing treestand may suit you best if you're comfortable with using one.

9. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm assuming you mean yards...not years away? Sure you can put another stand 60-80 yards away. What's it gonna hurt? I would hate to depend one just one stand location.

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used my phone and posted with tapatalk. I've had it post both ways, not sure whatcauses it.

11. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking of putting a stand about 50 yards from my favorite stand. In 3 sits this year, almost every deer has come out on the same trail, including the buck I'm after. I want to get closer to the trail but possibly go on the opposite side of it for when the wind isn't favorable for my current spot.

12. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Several of our stands are within 30 yards of each other. It helps take advantage of more natural funnels, food sources and winds in the woods.

13. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Starting this year I have 2 stands 25 yards apart. The old stand location was my spot for 4 years and I killed 2 deer from it. The second spot is where all the deer I never got a shot at from the first stand were gathering. So while the old stand location was good, my new location I expect to be awesome.

14. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 25 acres and two micro food shooting plots on one i have two stands one set for a east wind and the other set for a north wind and they are 30 yd apart The other plot only has one stand only because of the pinch point and the geography I hunt that stand with a south west wind. The neighbor asked if i would teach his kid how to hunt last night so i will be looking at how to get things setup for the youngster. Wish they would have said something a month ago. I am all set up for solo but i am glade to pass on the sport

15. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had stands hung as close as 20 yards setup for different winds for the deers' travel corridor.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think I have 10 stands on my 40 acres. I hunt them based on wind, morning vs. evening stands, Food sources vs. travel route.