First archery turkey!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by illinibowhunter, Oct 4, 2015.

1. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Little back story: I have purchased a fall archery turkey tag for the past 12 years that I've been a bowhunter. And every year at the end of the season I have ate that turkey tag.

That brings us to last night...

So I was walking to my tree stand and I have to walk this path through the woods that leads to this meadow area.

My buddy and I decided to not mow off the meadow this year so the grass has got about 7 feet tall.

Well every time I go to that meadow I end up seeing turkeys running around. So as I came up to it I really studied the meadow but couldn't see anything.

I was walking along the edge when about 100 yards away I saw one pecking around. I made sure to have some tall grass between me and it and started slowing walking toward it crouched down.

When I got about 50 yards away I poked my head up and couldn't see anything. I crouched down again and walked up to 40 yards. Poked my head up there and saw not just one turkey but several. I practically crawled up to 30 yards which is where I felt comfortable shooting.

As I stood up I came to full draw. Much to my amazement there was probably 15 turkeys standing right in front of me. I picked one out of the group and shot her. Dropped her right in her tracks.

I ran up to grab her and when I did, I had turkeys flying all over the place. It felt really good to finally tag a turkey after buying a tag the past 12 years.

I always said that I would end up mounting the first archery turkey that I shot and that's what I plan on doing with this one.

Sorry for the long story but it was one of my proudest moments I have had as a bowhunter! Hope everyone else is enjoying their time in the woods!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443953582.760516.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443953597.798295.jpg

2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A big congrats to you! That's quite an accomplishment to be able to stalk up on a group of birds and take it with archery equipment.

Blessings........Pastorjim

3. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats. They are hard to shoot and stalk up on with the vision they have and lots of eyes.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe post a smaller picture from farther away next time...LOL. Just kidding, congrats on the bird!

5. Seth French

Seth French Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats. Good job. Def an accomplishment.

6. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome, congrats bud!

7. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah sorry about the pic quality. They don't seem to come out well when you utilize tapatalk to post them.