Dumb question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AdamC, Oct 3, 2015.

1. AdamC

AdamC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just wondering has anyone looked at the color of their DDW scent elimination spray? I have the same scent elimination process as every other year wash clothes, store them in totes and put them on when I get to my hunting spot. I shower in scent killer soap. I am super cautious when It comes to scent but I have been busted twice and even had a couple deer in a cross wind situation they didn't bust me but they were on edge. Our terrain is fairly flat so there really shouldn't be much for thermals to worry about so trying to figure out what's going on I rehashed all my cloths, ran my ozone generator in my truck overnight and then when I was filling my smaller spray bottle with DDW I noticed it's yellowish/brown in color. I never really paid much attn before but I thought it was always clear in color.

2. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scent control is never guaranteed.. I've always had great luck with DDW products but under the right/wrong conditions deer are still going to pick up a bit of your scent.. like you stated you had times where they still came in but on alert.. if you didn't make yourself scentless more than likey you'd had been busted.. how I look at it, scent control products mask your scent but don't take away your scent 100%.. so even when you're freshly unscented the deer are still going to sme3ll human scent it just won't be qs strong of human scent s if you hadn't.. what also helps is wearing under linements that are also scent conrtol materials to help hold that scent in.. I don't know if you're a sweater, but swesweating will make your scent control much less effectI've, and I also believe wear4ing a hat that covers all of your hair is your best bet because your hair has dander which is dead give away.. as far as the DWW spray it should be clear, I wouldn't useit if it discolored.

3. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The latest issue of Field and Stream has an article on scent control. They used a K9 dog to check different brands. None of them worked, the dog found everyone within only seconds. The article also says deer have a ton more scent receptors than dogs. Makes you wonder if we're just spending money on advertising.

4. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    that's probably more true than most believe....

I use DDW line of products...and it is mainly due to the fact that the first time I tried it I had a deer follow my same trail into the stand not even 30 mins after I came in on it....so it sold me

but I also know that nothing will take away all your scent and sometimes deer do things and take chances that seem odd....so it is highly likely that he smelled me but didn't feel a threat......

that's a very interesting F&S article....ima have to look it up...but I agree they are probably spot on

5. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is the first year I have taken any kind of scent control measures. In all my rifle hunting years, I have had more deer than I can remember follow the trail I had just used.

I honestly am not sure if all these scent control measures are needed or if they really do anything but all my bow hunting friends have me brain washed to believe I need to use some sort of scent control and I do.

I use DDW and it has always been clear. I have read else where that DDW can go bad, which one should expect being it contains fermented vegetable stuff.

6. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe scent control products work to a degree but aren't going to make you completelty undectable. play the wind to your favor and you're going to make out better no matter how anal you are about being as scentless as possible. I'm a beleiver it helps, but isn't fool proof, its impossible to be completely scentless. I believe scent control products limit your scent to a point the deer think you're futrther away than you actually are or its older scent becuase its not as strong.. the fact is some deer will react to human scent that is days old, so Iit sometimes depend on the individual animal on how they react.

7. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just thought I would share this experience with all. Opening evening I was in stand about 3:30. As I got situated in stand, I thought I would spray some Nose Jammer on the back sides of the split maple I was in. I also had my Ozonics set up but was NOT TURNED ON to save the battery. About 4:30, I heard a deer blow behind me at about 80 yds. I thought the evening hunt would be ruined. A short time later, I decided to turn on the Ozonics.....it was not on the "Boost Mode".
    The terrain I hunt is flat, no hill to change thermals, wind is usually quite predictable. About 5:50, I had 2 does come in from the down wind side , they stayed down wind for 15-20 minutes moving behind me from side to side without a care.....plenty of time to catch my wind. They finally moved to the upwind side and milled around for another 20 minutes. I was totally impressed. This is not the only time I had success with Ozonics but to have deer down wind of you this long without being busted is amazing. Now I'm sure there will be those that believe it "had to be another reason than the Ozonics". None so blind as the ones that won't see.