Bad shot advice

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin21, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last night my dad who is shoot a Hoyt charger 60lb pull slick trick broad head took a shot that in my opinion he should have passed on, the doe was 30 yards out with about 15 min left of day light. He waited about 45 min to begin tracking the deer and once I got there he had probably tracked it 50 yards with decent blood. We found the arrow about 75 yards from where he shot it and he had very little penetration I would guess about 2" of the arrow and broadhead were broke off and gone while the arrow had about 5-6" of blood on it that could have obviously just ran down the arrow. Almost right after we found the arrow the blood came to a small drops and then just completely stopped. I assume he hit it in the shoulder and the deer will still make it but just wanted to get advice from some of you guys. Thanks

2. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Probably the case. Was deer broadside?

3. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it was broadside why would he not get more than a couple inches of penetration? He is gold tip hunters or something like that....I shoot the Easton axis because they weigh more I guess on a situation like that it would make a big difference.

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I shot my biggest buck my arrow was right at the edge of the shoulder. When the deer jumped the movement of the shoulder pinched the Arrow and snapped it off clean. I had a little more about 6" of penetration. Luckily for me it popped it shoulder in the process so I had no problem tracking because it was on three legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. nickster

nickster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thirty yard with low light can be tricky. if he did not compensate for shot angle he most likely got the shoulder