The OFFICIAL thread for PUBLIC LAND hunting.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Oct 2, 2015.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A thread dedicated to those who are hunting public ground full or part time.

Anything regarding public land hunting goes in this thread... Scouting, live updates from stand, post hunt recaps, photos and anything relevant all belongs here.

Some complain about hunting public land, in this thread we celebrate it :tu:

Tomorrow will be my first public hunt of the year, can't wait!

2. Mwebber1026

Mwebber1026 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right on. Im a 100% public land hunter and its going to be awesome to see how everybody does this year. I know for me so far this year its been tuff. I hunt a piece thats a loaded with acorns at the moment and I haven't seen a deer in the past 3 sits. Not to worried about it. Its loaded with does and I know once the food is done falling it always gets good. Good luck all.

3. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like it. Will be hunting public land part time in NY this year. Will hopefully have some posts for here in the next week or so

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    90% of my hunts will be on public land. My first hunt will be tomorrow afternoon IF the weather cooperates. If not I will be hunting Tuesday and Wed morning on the public land. I put in a lot of time scouting this past off season. Time to reap the reward.

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't hunted public land in many many years but I have a plan to do some this year. It involves accessing the spot I want to get to via a small boat. I'm looking forward to it.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

6. DoubleLung84

DoubleLung84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hunting public land for most of my hunts as well. I hunt a 100 acre farm with 4 other guys and just seems too crowded for me most of the time. Go figure when I'm on public I barely see anyone. So far have been out twice and have came close to sealing the deal on a doe. I'll be following this thread to maybe learn some tips and tricks from all the public land gurus on here.

7. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been a public land hunter almost the entire time I have been hunting. Even though I was given permission to hunt a farm this year, I am going back to the public land because things that were discussed before I began hunting this land are not what the owner/other hunter said it would be like.

It went from me hunting one field/woods and the owner across the farm road, hunting a whole different tract of land to the owner setting up and hunting blinds within 60 yards of my stand.

8. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Count me in. I hunt mostly public land and will be back at it this year. Hopefully next week. Good luck to all of you.

9. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first year to hunt public land here in texas. I hunted a weekend last year in arkansas for the beginning of rifle season and shot two bucks. This year i am going bow only and all public land! I am excited to get out this weekend. Unfortunately I can't hunt the opening tomorrow because I work so sunday will have to do. I am stoked. I Feel really confident on my spot as of right now. Cant wait to get out there

10. alecmeurer1

alecmeurer1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My first deer ever was on public land. Been out once on public and ended early because two squirrel hunters came in and started shooting squirels

11. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Each year I've been hunting more and more public, as my hunting style has changed more land access is needed. Unfortunately this thread is about 2 weeks late for me since I'm tagged out in WI. I'm still taking a few close friends to some spots and will be scouting because gained knowledge for next season is priceless. I will probably get out of state later in the season to hunt public because filling your buck tag early blows at times. Good luck guys, I've found a lot of public around me has less pressure early season than alot of private it you put in the work to find the right spots.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  12. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    public only for me. in my area that is where the bigger bucks are. go on private and get run over by guys and see small bucks.

13. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    that is where the big boys are! but you better have your big boy pants on!

14. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just got out of the stand for PA's opener, had the whole game lands to myself this morning, probably because no one was dumb enough to go out with the weather we are having. Saw one deer, couldn't make out the gender, and found fresh bear scat 3 feet from my stand. Hoping its that 500 pound bruin that swings by every now and then. probably going back in this evening

15. MOGC

MOGC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a 100% public land hunter. I hunt large blocks (tens of thousands upward to hundreds of thousands of acres) of steep heavily timbered Ozark terrain. I sat deep in the timber last Sunday morning and did not hear a single man made sound the entire time. I can't imagine hunting where I hear cars, horns, clanging and banging, dogs barking, TV or radio, cows mooing, people voices, ect. Here is a pic from turkey season a few years ago...

[​IMG]

16. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is always been one of my dream hunts. Small boating to a secret hard to get to spot with decent activity. Have yet to find it, but cant wait till I do!! Good luck!!

17. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's beautiful right there.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to get it done on the public land on opening day. Storm is breaking.

19. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Our rain is just a drizzle now. Setup just off a strip mined top in some oaks. Looks great.

I brought a buddy, a first time public land hunter with me. Set him up just off a high wall strip pit in some oaks.

20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    No acorns dropping here. Working an edge line leading to browse.