Getting started filming.

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Will Grier, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Will Grier

Will Grier Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Am looking to start filming and would like any helpful information regarding what cameras, camera arms, ect..... For a beginner that is.
    Have looked at a few but wondering what opinions I could get.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just started myself last year really, had camera year before but no other gear, so I'm no expert. I looked for a cam that was kinda somewhere in the middle of high end and low. Ebay helped out and got a decent camera fairly cheap. I would suggest gettin g something with decent zoom, mines only 10x and while I can get decent shots most of time the extra zoom would be nice if you hunt some open fields like I do. Also try to get one with some kind of manual focus, will help if shooting through anything to get a clear view on animal and not a twig or weeds. I also got one with internal memory so didn't haveta mess with SD cards but that's kind of personal preference. Something with good low light is also something to look for.

As far as other needs as far as arm and head I saved up and went with stuff that exceeded the weight of my camera. That way if ever wanted to upgrade only needed to buy camera and everything else would work. Some kind of remote is also kinda needed if self filming. Cuts down on movement and all controls needed are right there. I haven't added much else yet as far as mics of different lenses since for me it's just for fun and haven't figured out if like it enough yet.

Here my setup right now

[​IMG]

Canon vixia hf s21
    Muddy outfitter arm
    Manfrotto mvh500 fluid head
    Varizoom stealth remote

Not all that informative but hope helped a little.

3. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I broke out my old (2009) Sony HD Camcorder and bought a camera arm for it and intend on giving it a try this year...basically see if I am interested enough to take it any further or not.

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Start out small to see if it is for you. It can be quite addicting but also fustrating. Messing with a camera has cost me several shots but it adds another level to the challenge and can be fun.

You can get a used HD camera for around 200. There are several camera arms out there ranging from 40 to 400 bucks. The muddy outfitter is about 120. Can probably find a used one for a little less. You will need a back pack to transport it all too. I have a few but a tactical pack from Walmart cost me like 40 and holds everything and then some.

A external mic with a windscreen is nice to have for obvious reasons.

Don't buy all this new, check eBay and other places for used or refurbished gear. If you decide you like it you can always slowly upgrade.

Videoing takes a little more time. Get to your stand earlier so you can get setup. It will be slower in the dark. Also remember that you also have to pack up each time unless you have a good blind.

Most important have fun and good luck !!

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  6. IAbowhunter345

IAbowhunter345 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just got started filming this year. I bought a lower model Sony Handycam to try out before I bought anything too expensive. If you are self filming it adds a lot of difficulty to bowhunting but it is a lot of fun. I'd definitely start with something on the lower price range like said before. As for a camera arm ebay is the best place to look. If you start with a small camera like I did you can get a cheaper camera arm to get you by for now.