Tracking Shot Deer - Nocked Arrow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pick00l, Oct 2, 2015.

1. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have tracked a few deer in archery and muzzleloader over the years. Both my deer and others. Each time, we have proceeded cautiously and prepared to shoot if we jumped the deer. Proceeded that way until the deer was found. Even then, proceeded to approach the downed animal like it had the potential to rise again and run.

I do not recall the last time I saw a hunting show...when the hunter had a nocked arrow while in the process of recovering an animal.

I'm not trying to compare TV to real life however, It got me curious....are you still locked and loaded when working to recover your deer? I am and will continue to be.

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the initial shot and my confidence in it. Keep in mind many times filmed recoveries are being filmed after the deer has been found. Not always but often.

3. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've only had 1 instance that I got my bow and arrow ready and that was after we jumped the deer once. Generally we have the bow with us if we are tracking during the day. If you jump him once he will run, If you jump him again, your lucky, but if you jump him a 3rd time you BETTER be ready. That deer is fighting for his life so you have to be very carefull

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I never have been nocked and loaded while tracking for various reasons. Where I hunt is typically really thick so I would never get off a good shot if I jumped on. A good portion of our tracking ends up happening after shooting light has gone. Third and most important safety, know your target and what is beyond, I wouldn't know if something is around.

5. Davis

Davis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had to nock an arrow while I was tracking. Typically, if I question my shot I give that deer some extra time to die before I set out after it.

How often have you guys actually bumped wounded deer? It has never happened to me, every deer I have hit and walked up to has been dead.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do not keep an arrow knocked. As mentioned if I question the shot I give it plenty of time. Even when I am certain it was a double lung I wait 30-45 minutes unless I see it go down. I really doubt if I jumped the deer I would be able to get a shot off any way, I do not practice shooting moving targets so I would not be able to hit a running deer.

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This!

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never knocked an arrow when recovering a deer. Honestly never needed to. I doubt I would have enough time to get a good shot off at a deer if I jumped it.

Like mentioned, if you don't see the animal go down, wait it out and give it plenty of time. The deer will be just as dead an hour later as it was 15 minutes after the shot.

9. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never approached a deer with a nocked arrow.

10. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I never have an arrow nocked while walking/tracking. They stay in the quiver, not where they can stick me through the lungs. It takes just a second or 2 to nock an arrow. It takes a lifetime for my family/friends to mourn my death.

11. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes if circumstances warrant. Treat the broadhead like the muzzle of a gun, know where it is at all times and keep it away from your body and others. put it away or put it down if you have to climb over something or get in an area where footing is questionable. use good judgment and don't be casual with it.

12. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting topic... I tracked a doe last night and never knocked an arrow. I was confident in the shot at only 15 yds. Ultimately I would agree with everyone who posted. It depends on the shot. If I am leaving a deer go overnight before continuing to track, I would have an arrow ready if the surrounds were not too thick and there was enough light.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've never brought my bow with when I tracked.