First deer on first hunt in 10 years

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Seth French, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Seth French

Seth French Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I connected last night. It was my first bow hunt in about 10 years. I used to hunt a ton growing up and then real life started and I got away from hunting about 10 years ago. I know it's not a "legitimate" excuse but it happened. This season I said "let's get back into it". So I went and started trying to find land and I did some research and asked at a bunch of places and eras told no almost everywhere. I got lucky and spoke to a farmer and landed a real nice farm. My brother is getting back into it too and he scored some land so we were feeling good. Well I got all my gear out and started getting things in order this season. i did a little preseason scouting but didn't even have time to scout the farm I scored.

Opening day was yesterday and I took a half day from work and decided to go try the farm. It was very windy out but I just wanted to be in the woods. I got the gear and headed out a bit early so I would have time to find a spot. I packed the stand on the back and off I went. I looked at topos and overall maps and tried to best guess where I thought deer sign would be. I got to the spot and started looking around a bit and found a real nice spot. The corn had been harvested like 2-3 days ago, field had some corn on the ground from being harvested. I found a nice spot of oaks about 50-75 yards off the field where the acorns were rai into down. Good deer sign mixed in and a few runways. It rained real hard the last 3 days and the field was pretty muddy with not much tracks in the mud. I set the stand up and got situated. I sat there swaying in the wind for a while thinking its just too windy. But I was glad to be out. About 6pm on the dot, I picked up some movement to my right. It was too thick to really see what it was. There were some dead trees on the field edge and I saw a set of legs only. Game time. I had put out some Conquest deer herd scent near the bottom of my tree. I saw a deer come into sight about 75 yards downwind on the edge of the field. I could see it was a buck. I hit the grunt tube twice. The deer stopped, turned and came off the field into the woods. He took about 10 steps into the woods and immediately tried to wind me. Head up winding the deer started to come in. Closer and closer until broadside at about 20 yards. He went behind a tree, I drew back and when he stepped out I grunted and let it fly. BAM! Double lung shot. Arrow still in him and he took off. Ran out of sight at about 50 yards and about 5 seconds later a crash sound. I collected myself, sat down and waited a few. I got my gear. Got down and found incredible blood. I tracked and there he was 80 yards away or so piled up. He an down a good bank toward the stream. I was alone and had a heck of a time getting him out.

But i connected, first time out, first hunt in 10 years, first time on the piece of property. He isn't a big buck but he is a trophy to me. I wasn't going to shoot a doe. I got on the boards and I feel as if I'm back. He is a nice 3 pointed with a tiny fork that started on one side and a brow tine on the same side. Heck of a drag alone 500-600 yards back to the truck across the muddy cornfield.acked out gear first then dragged him. I was whooped.

Its not not the size trophies you guys are shooting but I couldn't pass him up for my first time back. Time to start going after some big ones now.

Time to to let the little ones grow and go after the big boys.

Also so I hunt in upstate NY. On the southern tip of the Adirondack Park.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  2. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man, sounds like an awesome hunt. Let's see some pics!

3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations, and welcome back! :)

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome back, I took 10 years off too no regrets.

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great job!

Blessings........Pastorjim

6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    good job.

7. ruteger

ruteger Guest

Awesome job, dude!

8. BikiBoki

BikiBoki Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally...I think any deer taken with a bow is a trophy -- congratulations! Enjoyed the story and your photo.

Bill

9. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats and welcome back!!

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!!

11. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    congrats and welcome back

12. MLB5769

MLB5769 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with BikiBoki. Any deer with a bow is a trophy. congrats

13. Mwebber1026

Mwebber1026 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good job man!!! Any deer with a bow is a trophy in my book.

14. Seth French

Seth French Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the congrats. It feels so good to be back and to connect so early. In NY we only get 1 buck tag with the bow and 1 buck tag with the gun. However I have 2 doe tags (gun or bow) so I will be out this weekend looking to fill a doe tag. I just got this farm and want to see what else is out there and see what does are around. I know I will probably see a real nice buck now and only have a doe tag but I guess that is how things go.

Come me on gun season, I need that buck tag to be in season.