Buying my first bow

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by CUTigers7, Sep 30, 2015.

1. CUTigers7

CUTigers7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone,

I am just getting into the sport of archery and hope to start bowhunting next season (in UT none the least!). I've been looking around the interwebs about what bow to get to start out with, but there is such a plethora of opinions. I went out to a range with a buddy last week and shot his PSE (not sure which model). It was pretty sweet. Ever since, I've been on ebay every day just trolling the waters looking for a sweet deal.

But luckily, I have a friend who's roommate is looking to sell his bow and I am wanting to get y'alls opinion on whether this is a good deal or if I should keep looking on ebay. My friend originally bought the bow before selling it to his roommate and he said that he himself didn't use it much and the roommate hasn't shot it since buying.

The bow in question is a Diamond Marquis (08 or 09 model). It looks to be in good condition, although I don't really know what condition it should be in. Didn't see any breaks and string looks good no fraying. Included with the bow is a stabilizer, arrow rest (not the whisker biscuit but some kind of flip down tray thingy), sight (I forget if it was 3 or 5 pin), peep, stabilizer, wrist strap, release, hard case, 6-8 arrows, 3 broadheads, a bag of nocks.

He threw out a price of $300 for this bow. Before I agree to it, does it sound like a deal? It is a now 7 year old bow, but it does seem to come with a lot of extras. However, I can see on ebay some brand new 2014 PSE Stinger X bows ready to shoot but not with case or some of the other things that run for $299 free shipping. Plus, another friend suggested that if I buy the bow, I should go get a shop to do a look over and tune it which could run me another $50-70.

Does this sound like a good deal or should I counter offer or just find something on ebay? Thanks in advance for y'alls help!

-CUTigers7

2. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is your budget? What are you looking for? Like a bow to just mess around with or to hunt with? Budget is the most important thing. Everything else will revolve around the budget.

3. CUTigers7

CUTigers7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the response. Looking for a bow that I can have fun at the range with and then go hunt when I feel confident in my skills. I'm looking to spend less than 400, but I almost feel like like 300 is my budget after hearing that price he gave me.

4. Aaron Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know your draw length and the draw length that the Bowtect Marquis is? It has a draw stop specific cam which means that if your buddy draws a 29 inch bow and you draw a 27, you have to change out the cams to change the draw length. Finding those cams might be hard. But if you guys have the same draw length that I would counter back with an offer to see if he will come down a little. I found one online that sold two years ago for 225 dollars. I will say there is nothing like getting a new bow that is for you though.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  5. Aaron Jones

Dislikes Received:
  6. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As you have seen, you can buy a new bow with accessories for that $300 range. Personally I would have a hard time paying $300 for a 6-7 year old bow but that is just me.

Before blindly buying a bow off the Internet I would go to a shop, have them help you find your draw lenght and shoot some bows to see what poundage you would comfortably start out with, if you don't already know these things. As mentioned, some bows are draw length specific while others are not. Sure would suck to buy a bow and find out the draw is way too short, or long for you if it is draw length specific. Can't really learn good form shooting a bow that isn't set up to you.

7. CUTigers7

CUTigers7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I went to Scheels (outdoors shop) today and found out my draw length is 29". They said I could bring the bow in to test it out and they would have a look at it for me too. I'll do that before I decide for sure or not if I am going to get it. I'm hoping it is my draw length so that I won't have to buy a different cam. You are right though; it would be pretty nice to have a new bow instead and I've seen some on ebay around the 300 range, ready to shoot, but minus some accessories like case, arrows, tips, release, etc.

8. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my first bow from eders.com. If you sign up for their professional bowhunter program ( costs something, like 25$?). You get the best prices on bows and bowhunting stuff I was able to find anywhere on the Internet. They also usually offer a few packages from last year for an even steeper discount. I'm not affiliated with them, they are just where I ended up after doing what you are doing now. My budget was the same, 300-400. I bought a quest rogue package at the time. It was great! Only complaints are that it was a little heavy and the handle got really cold in cold weather. Very accurate. I shot three deer with that bow before I won a creed in a raffle and gave it to a buddy to use. He has shot his first two deer with it now. You will likely end up upgrading most or all of the accessories that come with a basic bow package if you get into it.
    So starting out with basic sights, rests, etc, is fine in my opinion, especially if you need to save a little money in the short term.