Putting A Buck On A OFF LIMITS List?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Lester, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For those of you that have a buck or bucks that are off limits, how do you make the decision or is any buck under a certain age or size limit set out by the group?

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do not set anything off limits with those I hunt with. I believe each person I hunt with can shoot whatever makes them happy. It is supposed to be fun, making someone pass a deer that they would be happy with wouldn't be very fun to me.

Sorry, if that is not what you were looking for. This topic is just an annoyance of mine.

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder this as well, I have my friends family leasing property north of me this year and am unsure on what to limit. Some 2.5 year old's can be tempting for a lot of people..I agree that any deer should make someone happy but, the rules are for the ones that have had their first or second deer I feel.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  4. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I base mine on age. I try to take bucks that I approximate are 4 1/2 or older. I will take a 3 1/2 though if I think it will score over 150". The reason for this is because 150+ inchers look great on the wall and I don't have the self control. Of course these are all guesses on age and score so I do make mistakes.

I missed the part about the group. My group will take anything with a 15 inch inside spread and I don't own the property so they do what they want. Still enough bucks to go around, though.

5. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We don't really have a certain age or size limit set on our lease but there is usually 1 or 2 bucks a year that I put on the off limits list. The people hunting the lease are all after mature bucks with the hopes of shooting a giant. I don't really like saying you can shoot this buck but can not shoot this one but if there is a buck that looks like he could blow up into a GIANT I try and protect him. This is the only buck right now that I am hoping finds the best hiding spot ever but will also go on the OFF LIMITS list because I am thinking he is only 3 1/2 and will blow up next year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I understand what you are saying and if that is what your group decided to do, shoot whatever each person wants then I get that. I know some groups where the deer has to be at least a certain age or score and there is a fine if the buck goes under that minimum. We have never done that just try to protect a buck or 2 if we think they are 3 and have the potential to get above 160".

7. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe it can be different for every deer. I do agree if it is young and has potential, urge folks not to shoot it. However, I don't necessarily agree with saying "you can't shoot this deer".

8. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I could hunt land with restrictions without an issue, as I only target the top bucks for my areas anyhow. Though I just would not ask anyone else to adhere to my personal restrictions. Just because it is not a deer I am ready to take, I would not ask another to pass it.

9. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The restrictions are based on how much meat is in the freezer.

10. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, for those that get offended (or annoyed) by the subject, he did say in the OP it was a question for those with an "off limits" list so if you don't have one then it's really not even intended for you as a question. I'm not sure why it would offend or annoy anyone who doesn't have a situation like that to even deal with? If you don't like to hunt with people with a list like that on their property then hunt without them on your own property...it's pretty simple.

To answer the question, here, I just put together a hit list of all the mature bucks I have on camera throughout the year and those are what's open to be harvested. What goes on that list is any buck 5.5 years or older. All that is considered is age, any buck under that age is basically "off limits". If a new buck shows up, we're all somewhat educated on aging deer on the hoof and all share the same management goals so no one is offended. Does are encouraged to be taken early and older that 1.5 years old. That's the guidelines we've agreed upon as management practice. Considering our numbers, age structure of bucks and improvement in antlers (and frequency of encountering nice bucks) no one tends to argue with me on the guidelines I suggest so far.

Young hunters (beginners) have an open slate except for button bucks but they are generally guided by one of us adults and if there is a "special young buck" there, he may get a privileged pass. If he's shot by accident then so be it. Likewise we don't enforce any penalties for shooting something that's on the "off limits" list. We only have a hand full of hunters so it's not hard to keep everyone on the same page usually. After an inexperienced hunter has some experience and we're sure they are safe, they are allowed to choose and set up their own stands and hunt alone. Keep in mind we have largely city kids and visiting adults hunting that are largely inexperienced with even being in the brush, let alone hunting.

11. JDouin

JDouin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think it really depends on the property and who you share it with. I truly believe that people should shoot deer that they are 100% happy with. You can tell when someone who has killed lots of deer walks up on a buck and has a sense of disappointment. Whether that deer is 70" or 140", that person wasn't truly happy. It goes the same way...if a young/novice hunter kills a forkie but is tickled pink, I'm as happy as they are.

Personally, I agree with Monster Raxx. I try to put deer off limits that are less than 4 years old, and especially if they show promise of being larger than average deer when they mature. Here are 3 deer that I'll pass this year given the opportunity because I think they are 3. Even though they are on public ground, I wouldn't be 100% happy shooting them. Luckily they are in a pretty remote area, but there's always a chance someone will find them.

Attached Files:

12. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do not see anyone offended in this thread. Not one reply in this thread is even remotely associated to your reply.

13. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    You typed it bud...don't get all pissy about being called on it. Does one not have to be offended to some degree to be annoyed?

14. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Annoyance and offended are two different things, Bud. You are now annoying me but yet, I am not offended in the slightest.

If I welcome someone onto places I hunt, they can shoot whatever they please. I am not like hey, come hunt my place but you cannot shoot this, this or this. I am not selfish, I have put up members of this forum into places I hunt... Two of the three went happily home with bucks. Bucks they were happy with that I would not have personally taken. But, they did and they were happy... So was I.

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Semantics...
    Good for you...still doesn't make your contribution to this thread meaningful or pertinent. The OP, and my prior point was that he was asking a pretty simple question for those that have an off limits list as to how they determine what to place on it. Do you have an "off limits list or buck"? No...yet you felt compelled to voice your annoyance rather than having anything to offer as to his question other than you don't use a list like that and are annoyed by the subject. I see you get annoyed rather easily though, maybe you could use an anger management class.

As far as the selfish comment goes...depends on the situation. A farm that is under active management and is goal oriented, it's not selfish at all. Someone that invites a friend to hunt and wants to restrict them to a doe or a young buck...that's selfish. Lumping both into a blanket statement like that is grossly negligent.

16. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    a 3 1/2yr old is a mature buck. i can understand letting him grow and trying to protect him. but in the hunting world. it like this. the deer can go anywhere he wants to.

17. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    See, you are wrong again. I have many "off limits" bucks, I personally only target the better bucks for the areas I hunt. However, those are my personal limitations... and I do not force my views onto another. My family and friends have shot numerous smaller bucks on lands I hunt over the years and it hasn't stopped me from filling my tag with 11 quality bucks over the last 12 years.

You probably complain when a neighbor shoots one of "your" deer don't you.

18. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This bickering nonsense is annoying

19. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are right. Best of luck, turning your luck around.

20. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, nice try...they are only our deer while they are on our property (though I know you'll argue with that logic as well). Most people would be lying if they said they weren't disappointed when a neighbor kills a hit list buck so I won't lie..I am disappointed when a buck disappears for whatever reason. Complain...no not really, their property, their choice and their deer.

You're preoccupied with proving someone wrong...Well, then why not just simply answer the question and say what qualifies a buck for your personal limitations for a off limit list? That's what was asked for...weren't any restrictions applied to that question and he certainly didn't ask for castigation for the concept of off limits deer lists or "points of annoyance". Btw, I'll edit my original post to tend to your semantic sensibilities.