Weight carrying in on back?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Seth French, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Seth French

Seth French Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just curious how heavy and how much stuff you guys carry in.
    I have a Hawk stand and 5 hawk sticks which are like 24-26lbs combines and then I add my hunting pack and I just feel like it's a lot of weight.
    Im in good health and good shape and don't mind carrying the 30lbs or so on my back as I don't go crazy far to my sites. I just like being portable and don't have many spots I can leave my stand.

I have cut my pack down to just what I need in certain parts of the year.
    Just curious how heavy your guys set ups are. I think I may get some better back pack straps. The Hawk straps that come on the stand aren't that great. Just nylon webbing. I see muddy makes the real good padded ones.

2. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say it depends, but 20 pound minimum. I do not have a stand set up that doesn't involve packing it in daily.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Between my stand, sticks, camera arm, and gear.... I feel like a pack mule sometimes.

4. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I load down my badlands super day plus I have my xop stand and sticks. I think its closer to 30 but I do a lot of endurance stuff in the off season so its not really a burden on my hikes

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Somewhere around 40-45 pounds. 17# stand, 4 LW sticks ~10#, bow, pack with clothes, harness.

My latest spot is a 500-800' hike halfway up a ridge. It reminds me each outing, I need to workout more in the off season.

6. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a lone wolf hand climber, my pack with just the essentials ( knives, binos, rangefinder, bow holder, a multi tool, some paracord, and my grunt call. ) That is roughly 28 pounds. I will say my back pack is super heavy! but it is perfect for the size and function of the back pack. If i had my climbing sticks to that set up (If i am going in blind to a spot that I have never been or have a spot already picked out that doesn't have a climbable tree, I bring the sticks with.) My total weight is 40 pounds. It is way too much and I will be looking to cut that down in the future

7. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree right with the other responses right about 35-40 but if I choose to not bring camera or any associated gear that drops to about 30. After training for and chasing elk all over CO this September this 40# seems easy especially when the temps cool off and the bugs don't bug you while trying to set up. And just for a helpful tip for straps I bought two padded rifle slings and just turned them into backpacking straps, they are super padded and easy to adjust on the go and can be found for pretty cheap.

8. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep somewhere in that area. And CJCcullen is right, rifle slings work great.
    Don't waste you money on the muddy ones, they don't have much padding and have about the most retard way of adjusting them.

9. myot

myot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I train all off season with an 88lbs bag of flour in a pack and go on 2-3 mile hikes 3/4 times a week chasing the dog through river bottoms so come hunting season I'm in great shape
    but its very rare where I hunt that I have to carry in my stand for every hunt so my pack is normally about 20lbs including my water blatter, extra clothing and all my hunting essentials

Dan

10. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say I'm somewhere around 30-35 with and stand and camera equipment. An 8 pound stand can really lighten the load.

11. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have weighed mine. And it looks like I'm the winner or loser 53lbs lone wolf sit and climb and cam and all related gear and 60yrs old. don't know if i can do it this yr.

12. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm probably in that 35lb range. LoneWolf climber, Badlands Monster fanny and outer jacket/layers. I try to minimize what I carry to the essentials.

The biggest reason I love my Badlands Monster and Lone Wolf Combo is that I can put the pack on my back first and snug it up. Then throw the Wolf over the top of it. It distributes weight well and feels like I'm carrying much less.

13. MOGC

MOGC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With a Summit climber and hunting pack I'm in at probably around 40 awkward pounds. I say awkward because the Summit is a bulky stand, super easy to climb with and very comfortable, but also heavy and bulky. I hunt large tracts of rough timbered public ground in the Ozark's and typically walk in from a half mile to a mile from a gravel conservation or forest service road. Every destination going and coming seems to be steeply uphill, just like grandpa and dad used to say about walking to school. :). I'm 55 and in pretty decent shape however I need to trim some pounds from the pack and my waist line as I get older to keep myself hunting in such remote locations. It's worth it in the end, to sit all day deep in the timber and not hear a man made sound the whole day is special. Another bonus is there is no cell service to bother you with that aggravation. Deer tend to be more relaxed and that is always a good thing.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  14. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on if I'm running/gunning or not. Without a stand, probably 10-15 lbs depending on layers I'm packing, etc. With a stand 30-35lbs depending on if I'm using my sit/climb or my assault with sticks.

15. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    :nana:mogc. "It's worth it in the end, to sit all day deep in the timber and not hear a man made sound the whole day is special"

No airplanes there?

16. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The reason I ask is because one of my best spots is at the end of a international airport runway. I'm so close i can see the people in the plane windows. Nothing like screamin jet engines and burnt jet fuel for cover scent.

17. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I don't remember exactly what it's called, but I bought the straps the military uses to carry backpacks. It is a wide waist strap and shoulder straps, and I attached them to my stand, then everything else I carry I attach to the stand. I put it on and cinch down the waist strap nice and tight first, so all the weight is on my hips, and then just snug up the shoulder straps. It is similar to the way a firefighter's air pack works. When used properly all the weight is on the hips and carrying a load is SO MUCH EASIER.
    If you are very overweight and don't have hips this may not work for you.

18. KY72

KY72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a MOLLE waist belt off ebay for $13 shipped. Attach to the bottom of your platform of a hang on and it puts all the weight on your hips. It just hangs under your platform when your in the tree.

19. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't usually carry a stand in becuase most of my stands stay out year round. I don't like packing in a lot of weight becuase by the time you get to your spot your sweaty and then create commotion setting up.

When not carrying a stand I'd say my day pack weighs around 10 pounds. I usually carry 2 water bottles and a thermos if it's chilly so that accounts for the most weight.

If I'm taking a climber in say on public land I'll strap it to my deer cart and carry every thing in on that. When I get close to where I'm going to set up I'll pack it the rest of the way. This way I can save my back, cut down on sweat and stink, and my deer cart is realitivly close if I need it.

20. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think im just under 30 lbs. Lone wolf alpha and three sticks with hme bow holder. Tenzing waste pack. Alot lighter then the 45 to 50 lbs I packed around a few yrs ago.