Corkscrew arrow flight

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Joe Collins, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Joe Collins

Joe Collins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone ever had an arrow which flew in a corkscrew-like flight? On rare occasion I've noticed an arrow fly like this. I'm assuming it's caused by me twitching or something and the arrow hitting something as it leaves the bow. Resulting in the arrow not flying straight, the arrow then over compensates as it spins(?). I imagine it'd even out eventually.

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like mine does this but still hits the mark. Staying tuned to find out the answer from some of the more experienced guys. Good question.

3. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
  4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is the arrow hitting where you are aiming? Is it the same arrow that does it. How are your groupings? Is it really corkscrewing or could it be light playing off the odd color fletching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Usual cause is torqueing the bow honestly. Check your vanes for clearance and then check your grip on the bow

6. Stay_Sharp

Stay_Sharp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is normally caused by fletching contact and the arrow recovers down range but corkscrews as it flies.

7. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Couple things come to mind as I've had this. Number your arrows, Its possible that one of them is not straight which is what my issue was. you might find that its only 1 arrow that is doing that.

Also possibly have your center shot checked to make sure its pretty close to where its suppose to be. If its off by more than a small amount then its possible that the arrow is leaving the rest crooked. You can do this yourself if you want by doing a tuning technique called French Tuning (Youtube has some good videos)

8. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    Fixed my issue today. I was using NAP quick fletch twister. Went back to my blazer vanes and what do you know, perfect every time.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah those quick fletch will work in a pinch but I don't consider them permanent. Not durable enough for practice shooting and not as accurate as the real deal.

10. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    The difference in accuracy was huge for me. Maybe it's just what works best for set up I don't know but the Blazers fly dead true.

11. Joe Collins

Joe Collins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1.No
    2.No
    3.Excellent, 6 consecutive shots touching at 20 yards.
    4. I was shooting in failing light yesterday when it happened. It's doubtful it was an optical illusion. Its happened twice and never in full sun. Last time it wasn't in failing light. It was afternoon out of direct sun.

I keep a pretty consistent light grip on it. I probably torqued it and it hit the rest, causing it to fly off center. The air resistance hitting the fletching probably caused it to over correct itself over and over again, resulting in a corkscrew-like flight. Sort of like a wobbling bottle. Instead of gravity being directly "in front" of the wobbling force as is the case with a bottle that is over correcting itself(resulting in falling, usually) it is perpendicular, which would eventually result in the arrow flight evening out.

I've only had this happen when shooting at 20 yards.

Here's the group I shot. The arrow that corkscrewed was down and to the right about 4-5 inches.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  12. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had this happen a time or two, but as mentioned it is only with one arrow out of a dozen. Sometimes, it may be how the stiffer side of the arrow (if it is a sheet of carbon wrapped around a mandrel during fabrication) is orientated relative to the string. The closer the stiff side is parallel to the string the better it flies, more perpendicular and it may contribute to "erratic" flight. A correction is the float spin the arrows in a tub of water. The stiffer side with be on bottom when it comes to rest. Place a fletch along this side and it helps to correct the issue.

Does this really work? I don't know. I've done it on some and some I haven't. I know that factory fletched arrows are not done this way and the law of averages will show it doesn't happen very often. You'll nearly always have this "seam" in line with a fletching or parallel with the bowstring.

The other thing is the shaft has a slight camber (bend) to it.

13. Stay_Sharp

Stay_Sharp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So it was a clearance issue after all. Good on you for fixing it.

14. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like it was a clearance issue to me. That arrow should not corkscrew much at all if it is clearing everything perfectly. Sometimes you have to twist your nock to align vanes differently to allow that clearance. Sometimes it's actually tuning your bow so the arrow comes out as straight as possible.