Which Boots?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Mitchellhunt99, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Mitchellhunt99

Mitchellhunt99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I would like to get a new pair of boots before it gets cold out and I'm down to these 2 boots: the Lacrosse Areohead 7mm and the Alphaburly pros 1000g. I'd like to be able to hunt without my feet getting cold around 20 degrees, although my feet get cold way quicker than most. I know it's all about layering but still haven't figured out how to keep them warm. Once the temps drop a lot I do have a pair of Mickey Mouse boots to wear. I'd love to hear if you have a better option or your opinion on which boot to buy and what's the best sock layering method you use. Thanks in advance!

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear Lacrosse Alphaburly's. As far as the sock layering. I don't. Tight socks will freeze your feet much quicker.
    I wear my Lacrosse then put my boot blankets on when I get to the stand when it is really cold.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care for my Alphas all that much. My boots of preference (and I've posted this a lot lately for some reason) is just the cheap walmart brand camo survivors with scent control, I think like 800 grams of thinsulate. They're waterproof and last as well as anything I've used and I'm frickin hard on boots.

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I want boots that will be good in multiple conditions, I would not go with Rubberboots. I want a pair that I can lace tightly in warmer conditions, and losen the lower laces to make room for wool socks while being able to cinch the upper laces to keep the boot tight.

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Really like my aeroheads

6. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the 3.5 mm Aeroheads, and I like them enough to consider getting a pair in 7mm for late season. They are light and the footbeds are really comfortable on stand. If you have to do quite a bit of hiking I might recommend you go with Muck Arctic Pro or Pursuit Supremes as they seem like they are better long distance rubber boot. The alpha burleys for me felt too stiff and heavy. For me I walk in 1/4 to 1/2 mile to a treestand through muck and some standing water...I like rubber boots. I think the urethane + 7mm on the Aerohead will be plenty warm for you...the key is to get your boots a little big so you have an air space around your forefoot...then use a good wool sock...My favorite is the Dahlgren BackPacker Alpaca sock...it really wicks moisture nicely in a rubber boot on stand. Good luck...cold feet suck after a few hours out there

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have some cabelas 1200 gram comfort tracs which are good down to about that (20deg). You cant stop sweat. Last year i used my 600g gram whitetail extremes which are a scentlok lace up boot. My feet were actually warmer in temps in the teens with wool socks and liner socks than they ever were with the 1200 gram rubbers..... because they were Dryer. My feet just simply didnt sweat on the walk in like with the rubbers

8. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for the aeroheads. Mine are the 3.5s and i haven't had a chance to test them out in the cold yet but they are super comfortable

9. Mitchellhunt99

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, I know there's a ton of options out there just not sure on which would work best for me. I'm definitely leaning towards the tall rubber boots do to snow and dew. I have tried the areoheads on and they feel great but If I spend $160 and still have cold feet there kinda worthless.

10. DVFD236

DVFD236 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive used the Woody max by Muck boot's for several years. I think the biggest part of keeping your feet warm is a good sweat wicking sock such as wool.

11. LSoutdoors5

LSoutdoors5 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alphaburly's 1000g and wool socks have been my go to for the last couple years.

12. Walbash

Walbash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IDK if ya bought some yet. but lacrosse didn't fit me well was tight on ankle. I use Muck boot's 1/2 size larger with insole's for early season. take out insoles for thick wool sock's in late season. they also make an insulated boot called Artic Pro's for the colder weather.

13. Mitchellhunt99

Dislikes Received:
    Well I ended up getting the Herters off of cabelas, shipped to my house for $60. So far I'm pretty happy with them!

14. Full Draw

Full Draw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I gave up on rubber boots years ago. Just couldn't keep my feet warm in cold weather. Danner Pronghorns in 1000 grams is my choice.

"Live Life at Full Draw"

15. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed! Unless I have to cross our creek to access one of my stands I leave my mucks at home. I'm much warmer and more comfortable in my Rocky G2 boots. Only 400 gr thinsulate, but I'm sold on gortex. I have sweaty sweaty sweaty feet and with good wool socks and the gortex liner I can really feel the moisture wicking away. I've sat in single digit temps with only 400 gr insulation and stayed relatively comfortable. I dk what my next boot purchase will be, but they won't be rubber and they will have gortex.