Topo Map Gurus

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sport4, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Sport4

Sport4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alright all you topo map gurus, where would you sit? If you need to know anything else, just ask away. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Sport4

Sport4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also let me know if I need to post the map a certain way so it can be edited.

3. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Assuming it's all wooded I'd put a stand close to that pond on the south end of the ridge and another at the very beginning of the ridge where those two draws come together. But there's no substitute for boots on the ground.

4. Sport4

Sport4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The light shade of green is really close to showing the timber. I would be coming in from the south as well. I will show you where I have a stand right now and was thinking about putting one up where you mentioned by the pond.

5. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Upper left about 1/3 of the way down the ridge Play the wind in the morning and hunt there.

6. Sport4

Sport4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, the blue dot is where I have a stand already. The yellow highlighted area is a nice bedding area. It is a decently thick flat where they can get down in the ravines quick and easy if need be. The black circle area is where there is a really good acorn crop this year. They are all over the ground around my tree. The red lines are trails. It is uncanny how they are usually found where there is terrain change on a topo map. They all lead to a grass field where they feed all year round. I want to try and stay out of that stand until the rut activity starts heating up a little bit, but may try to sneak in if the wind is perfect (straight N or N, NE) early season and hunt over the acorns. A stand by the pond will be good for early season. I would be able to sneak in without pushing deer and hunt over the ag fields and pond during the hot days of the season. Topo 2.jpg

7. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I were going in to hunt this property blind with only a topo to use, I would assume the best bedding would be in black and my stand sights would be in blue. I did a black line from the blue as to where I'd want the wind to blow.
    [​IMG]

8. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Topo 2.jpg The blue spots are where I would look and set up. Going off where you said there was trails too.
    on top i would find where they are crossing the creek and set up over it.

9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Three recommendations: 1) augment the topo with aerial pics 2) scout your assumptions 3) check out the area closest to the head of the stream.

10. Sport4

Sport4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Where you have your bedding areas, they are on north facing hillsides. Would they bed on these hillsides during the warmer months then on south facing hillsides in the colder months? When walking this property after season last year, I did not find any beds on the north facing hillsides but they were all over where I highlighted yellow, on the flat and south facing hillsides. Is that just because it was cold? I will post an aerial pic as well.

11. Sport4

Sport4 Newb

Dislikes Received: