15 minute antelope hunt

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by JGD, Sep 24, 2015.

1. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was in Wyoming a couple of weeks ago to call elk for a friend of mine. He had to work for the first two days I was there so I decided to buy an antelope license and do a little hunting. I stopped at the ranch of an old friend and got permission to hunt and 15 minutes later spotted a buck on a ridge about a mile away. The two-track road I was on went right in his direction so I slowly made my way toward him until I got to a low spot where I thought I could make a stalk. I got to 56 yards but didn't want to shoot over 50 so I hunkered down and crept closer. As I was moving he quartered to me and walked into a slight depression but I was unable to see him. I counted 16 steps and clipped onto my D-loop, raised up and drew my bow once I saw his back; he was feeding. I put the 40 pin on him and loosed the arrow which flew 3 inches over his back. I was incredulous! I didn't range him but was certain he was at 40 yards. He jumped and ran a few yards, looked around and started feeding again. I quickly strung another arrow, and slowly raised up above the sagebrush. I was confident he was at 50 yards and it never dawned on me to range him again. I guess that comes from years of shooting without sights. I drew the bow and released the second arrow. This one hit the mark and the antelope bolted over the hill 75 yards away at high speed. He made it down the hill and across a flat area before collapsing in a ditch. My 2015 antelope hunt lasted a full 15 minutes. I was thrilled! Here he is.[​IMG]

Drivingtacks likes this.
  2. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    nice job!! congrats

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice goat Jerry, Congrats!

You get more for your money if you let it last a little longer :poke:

4. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a good looking buck. I guess you got more time to go fishing

5. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You're right Fitz but it sure was nice to have time for a couple rounds of golf before my buddy was ready to go elk hunting. :)

Funny you should mention that Carp; I bought a boat in July and the striper bite will be on full bore in no time. :)

6. Tyranta

Tyranta Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice looking antelope! I'm hoping to get a chance to hunt them some time here in ND.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

7. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    DO IT! One of my favorite animals to hunt. Probably because you can always find them and spot and stalk is possible and rewarding. :D