back tension release

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So Im thinking of trying a back tension release after i fill my dear and bear tag this year. any suggestions?

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Scott Exxus and shoot it like a back tension. Gives a fall back in case you need a little more control.

3. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is what holds a lot of people back as shooters. As long as you have punching in the back of your mind as an option, you're going to battle it.

A hinge is an excellent tool to improve your shooting and shot making. I've used one exclusively for going on 6 years now (target and hunting). I haven't missed a deer (due to execution) or made a bad hit since. I still pick up a thumb trigger from time to time but always go back to a hinge. I shoot a light click for hunting and no click for target.

It will take a lot of work and is a major philosophy change for most people when it comes to aiming. You have to be OK mentally with your pin sitting on the dot (or aiming point) and letting your shot run rather than making it go off when it gets to the dot.

I'm an advocate for a hinge. There's very few people on planet earth that are punchers that can do it consistently at a high level. Tim Gillingham is the only one I know of and there's a reason he changes releases with the wind. Our minds get in our ways when it comes to shooting.

Without going into a whole lot of detail, our minds can only consciously do one thing at a time but can do many subconsciously. The philosophy here is that you need to be 100% focused on aiming and let your shot run separately in the background. You don't need to be switching back and forth between focusing on your pin and your trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Very good info. I am a trigger puncher. I can outshoot everyone I know, but still and a trigger puncher and have lots of room for improvement. Every once in a while I get a bad shot. Like if you saw my 80yard shot video. I want to improve to the highest point that is possible for me. And I think a hinge release is what will take me to the next level. Thank you

5. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Scott backspin. Awesome release. takes a little getting used to. well worth the money in my opinion

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love shooting with a hinge release. Just feels great for me. Such a smooth shot execution. I don't try and force my pin on a spot and just let it float and slowly squeeze my back. Always just seemed to go in the right spot. This was 80 yards with a longhorn pro advantage hinge. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also prefer the Pro Advantage

8. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah. I love the taper and the brass. Just feels great in my hand.

9. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a carter and I love how pure the shots feel, I would really like to hunt with one but I didn't get enough practice with it this off season to have confidence in the woods with it.

10. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the pro advantage as well without the click. Love the weight of the brass

11. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've toyed with thinking about trying a BT release as well. I've noticed my shooting form and shot execution has changed the last few of years as I've gotten older, especially when I had a bout with target panic (still do to some degree today).

My thing is is being worried or concerned it will go off prematurely before I settle in for the shot by hitting the backwall to aggressively.