Is the Mathews HTR the most accurate hunting bow in the world?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by JDUB, Sep 24, 2015.

1. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just what it says...for those who bought one and own one...not just tried at 20 yards in the shop...Is this the most accurate hunting bow you've ever had? I am considering a 2nd bow...even though I didn't love the draw cycle when I shot it at my local Mathews dealer I know I can train my body to get comfortable with a different draw cycle...but does it shoot?

caalexander4 likes this.
  2. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am only I my 3rd bow and yes, it is the most accurate bow I've ever owned. Now with that said I can give you many reasons why I love this bow. The complete feel of this bow I believe enables me to be very accurate. It is very well balanced, has a very comfortable grip, has a longer riser, 85% letoff, and has a wonderful draw cycle. The weight of the bow took a little getting used to because to me felt a little heavy compared to what I was used to. However the weight I think adds stability. The draw cycle to me is a really key part of the bow that I absolutely love! Is it the smoothest bow I've ever drawn? I can say yes. I'm not saying this bow is the best bow in the world, but for me it is a really great fit. I am 6'3 with a 30 inch draw cycle and this bow really does fit me well. Will it fit anyone? I'm not sure, but it fits me, and that is what counts! :tu: Let me know if you have any questions, love to answer them any way I can!

3. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i'm 33 and on my 3rd bow. The first one was a hand me down from my grandpa. My second bow was a Hoyt Turbohawk (low end Hoyt in 2010) It worked but I never liked that it didn't have a solid back wall. It would always creep on me. I had target panic and honestly the bow with little to no back wall actually made it worse.

I ended up getting the HTR after checking out 3 other Mathews bows at the shop. Honestly the HTR was my 3rd or 4th choice until I shot it. There are a ton of people out their that are anti-Mathews and they complain how heavy the bow is and how top-heavy the bow is. I think they are complete ****s. I say that because I had to go to a shop that didn't sell Mathews as I needed someone to fix my peep as my normal shop was closed and a pretty far drive. Lets just say they are complete ****s. I know not all places are like this but I hate the guys who are anti-Mathews or whichever bow. They all shoot good and every person has a different taste for what kind and type of bow they like.

Now to answer your question, YES, this bow is ( my opinion) the most accurate bow out right now. It has all the qualities that a Target bow would have. If you have arrows with tight tolerances then you can be EXTREMELY accurate if you have good form etc. Next year I plan on getting some different arrows with tighter tolerances just for this reason because I honestly feel I can be even more accurate as some of my arrows are old I want something new. The bow balances really well also. Yea its a tad top heavy but it really balances well. It was designed that way, Mathews guys know what they are doing for sure.

4. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No bow is the most accurate in my hands!! Seriously though, it is a very, very good shooting bow. I couldn't get a good feel to the grip and so reluctantly sold it. I loved how it shot though.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  5. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very good point. Often people get caught up with what it feels like in a static situation and forget a bow is designed to shoot good in a dynamic situation. Top heavy-whatever. It adds balance at the shot, duh....

And, if you don't like something, ok - good for you. Don't have to mouth off about it though.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a bow addict and have owned and shot several flagship bows from many companies. I really did not like the draw cycle of the HTR when I first tried it but I did like how steady it was at full draw. Now after shooting it for awhile I have grown to like the draw cycle. I consider myself below average in accuracy but I can consistently shoot this bow out to 80 yards. That's the max range on my dial. The bow shoots itself.

Is it the most accurate? In my opinion it's pretty close but opinions vary. I like it and it's my go to bow this season.

7. matchking50

matchking50 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would say yes. I loved the bow the first time I picked it up. By far the most accurate bow I have shot.

8. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I am no loyalist to any brand...my last 6 bows were an old Jennings, a bowtech, 2 hoyts, and 2 Xpeditions...I love my bow now...best bow I've ever shot by far...and I go shoot all the new ones every year for fun at the shops. I just want a second bow. I have shot a few Mathews over the years at shops and liked em, but didn't love em...mostly it was that chunky wood grip that turned me off. I ultimately Chose my Hoyt Viper tech over a Mathews SQ2 because of the grip back in the 1990s. Now that I shot the CHill R and the HTR with the focus grip I said well maybe I can shoot a Mathews...Honestly the Chill R draw cycle was the draw cycle of the two that felt the best to me...or I guess matched more closely with what my body/Shoulder is used to, but the HTR really held great at full draw and was super quiet and shock free. A lot of bows are shock free though now days. I like the speed of the Chill R but the long riser and steady hold of the HTR...I can get over the speed. I won't buy the Chill R because I like a longer brace height for late season hunting with thick clothes on. I am also considering a Creed XS or HTR. One thing that a shop pro told me about the Mathews focus grip is that its hard to find a consistent grip for hunting with gloves on with the focus grip...anyone else feel that way that owns one?

9. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Far and away the best bow I've shot at long distance.

SCFox

10. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I agree, It drives me nuts when I sit there and get **** on by soo many guys at some of these places just because they don't like the bow. Its like "really, grow the F up" they usually shut up after I out-shoot them with my top heavy bow. lol

be

11. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    JDUB-I personally love the focus grip. I switched the wood block grip off my Z7X for the focus grip. What a difference! I wear thinner UA gloves for hunting and feel like I get more consistent hand placement and better groups since switching to the thinner focus grip. The wood grip is pretty, but the focus grip is functional and a huge improvement in my opinion.

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been doing this for over 35 years and can tell you that it has made me the best shot I have ever been. It's definitely a very easy shooting bow. Hands down the best I have ever shot.

13. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot quite a few of the flagship bows for this year which included: bear arena, prime alloy i think it was, elite synergy, the HTR, hoyt nitrum and the prodigy. The synergy and HTR we're by far stand outs in my book with the prodigy at a close second. This was (IMO) based on overall feel, draw cycle, look and price. I settled on the synergy because the price, grip and draw cycle are second to none. If i had the money i would have one of each to be honest. So as far as being the most accurate hunting bow i not sure it would be very hard to improve on the synergy IMO. It may be ONE of the most accurate though

14. Walbash

Walbash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't shot a new bow in year's still shooting an 09' mathew's for me it has been the most accurate bow. dead in hand and I like the chunky wood grip hehe. I feel alot of accuracy in a bow is how it's setup, gear on it, etc... I personally like a lightweight sight hence the fixed single pin.

15. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just started a thread on another forum about the fact that I'm switching my HTR for hunting. I'm a Hoyt fanboy and bought my HTR for back up. However the HTR is so smooth and shoots so well I have to use it as my main bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good shooting bow but as has been said, it depends how it fits you. My hands are small and having worked farming and construction all of my life, my fingers are fat and for me the grip is everything. While the newer Mathews bows are a lot better than they have been, (since the SwitchBack) because of their grip, I can't shoot them comfortably or repeatedly.