limb driven or cable driven drop away rest

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ILantlerhunter, Sep 23, 2015.

1. ILantlerhunter

ILantlerhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What are the pros and cons to shooting a limb driven drop away vs a cable driven??

2. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    prefer the cable driven myself.... less length of string to snag **** walking in and out...

3. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would prefer a limb driven rest because you don't have to worry about timing issues.

4. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    have not tried a limb driven. have never had a problem with cable driven.

5. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same reason I bought a limb driven too.

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Limb driven rests are easier to set up. They support the arrow for a longer amount of time, can't bounce back, and on both of the models I shoot you can adjust the launcher tension for a more forgiving shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I find this funny honestly. If you set the damned thing up right, there are zero timing issues. Especially with todays strings that have nearly no stretch or creep to them. If your cables are stretching enough to throw the timing off of the rest.....the rest is the last of your worries in that case because everything else is going to be off

8. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    It's not always the timing of the bow but the rest too... If you don't tie the rests cord in the right spot the launcher or rest blade could be up to long causing fletching contact or it won't hold the arrow long enough. That's why in the directions of some rests the have a recommended distance from the rest to tie the cord to the cable. I didn't actually know anything about this until I watched a video on it. Yes you can set them up correct and never have a problem but a limb driven rest still superior to a cable driven rest.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well that is your opinion and of course you are welcome to it. However I prefer cable driven. Limb driven (if top limb style) can interfere with quivers for those of us that never take our quiver off. They can catch on the sliding mechanism of adjustable sights, and the long cable can catch on things walking through thick brush. Notice I am saying "can" not that they always will. But I have read cases of it happening to other folks.

I have no issue with limb driven rests but it is really all personal opinion. It is not fact one style is better than the other.

10. dthbyhoyt

dthbyhoyt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have both and like both...but yes, limb driven does seem to snag more crap. And I have had an instance where that ruined a hunt. Just something to think about.

12. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    hmmm read what I said again. Real slowly if you need to. I said and I quote "if you set the damned things up right, there are no issues" Your response was basically if you dont set them up correctly they wont work right. DUHHHH Please explain to me how a limb driven rest is superior to a cable driven rest? They both work on the same principle yet one uses damn near 2 feet of cord to achieve its use.

13. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    In your first comment you must have thought I was talking about the bow timing and the cord being to tight. But I was talking about the rest timing and felt I should explain a little. Yes they can work equally good if setup properly but it's harder to do with a cable driven rest and the limb driven will have less bounce back as maxpetros stated above. I obviously don't have a problem with a cable driven rests because I use one. It seems like you feel the need to be right a little bit more than everyone else but that's fine with me.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  14. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    Nope just trying to stop the misinformation being spread around here and the myths associated with them

15. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing wrong with either style and either will work fine.

HOWEVER... its been proven that limb driven rests, such as the Limbdriver is a superior rest in terms of accuracy and forgiveness. Why? As someone alluded to earlier in the this thread, the rests stay up longer, allowing longer initial guidance to the arrow. Limb driven rests do this by being able to get out of the way later in the shot cycle. Cable rests are dependant on a spring inside the rest to pull the launcher out of the way. These springs are fast enough to pull the launcher out of the way later in the shot cycle, thus they start their drop almost immediately. Less guidance on the arrow than a limb driven rest.

Also, given the fact that limb driven rests stay up longer and are in a sense ripped out of the way by the limb, it enables them to use spring style launchers, etc, that stay in contact with the arrow and float as the arrow flexes across the rest. Again, this is proven to be preferred and more accurate and forgiving. Look at target shooter setups. Most don't use a drop away, but they almost always use a bladed, spring steel style launcher. Why? Long, guided contact over the entire length of the arrow. The launcher flexes with the arrow, instead of skating across it. The Limbdriver rests, for example, combine both concepts. Longer guidance and extremely fast drop aways.

Timing isn't the problem, its the cam sync that cable rests effect. To properly keep a cable rest up long enough to provide the correct guidance to your arrow, you're going to almost always have to apply tension to cable of the bow (because you have to shorten the rest cable a smidge to hold it up longer). This is effect shortens that cable enough to effect cam syncronization. With that said, if you setup the bow right, you will have to advance or retard one of the cams slightly to keep them both in sync.

I switched to a Limbdriver 5 years ago and will never go back to conventional cable driven rest. For me, the accuracy is a great plus, but also ease of setup and tuning and its simplicity. No need to monkey with serving cords into cables, etc. I have dragged my bow through some pretty nasty stuff and never had an issue with that "long" cord as some say. If you snag that cord, you're snagging up other items on the bow as well.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  16. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well said

17. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for taking the time to write that up. I was too lazy to do it. Frantz, you're not realizing what others are saying. Sure, both can be timed correctly, but it is far easier to do so on a limb driven. Limb driven rests are also simpler. Less internal parts. While I've never broken down a QAD (not bashing, do like them) I'm sure there are a ton of internal parts; springs to make the rest fall, for the internal brake, make it stay up on a slow letdown, etc. limb driven rests only have a spring keeping the launcher up. I have broken down both a smackdown pro and a vaportrail limbdriver and there are no other internals. Overall seems like a more bullet proof rest to me. And as mentioned, anything that would catch the activation cord will catch your cables or an arrow from your quiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk