Wind Farms

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Skywalker, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never really been a fan in the past, but I had never really given them too much thought as they were not in my back yard. There is an established one about 15-20 miles north of my house. I cannot see them from my house, but at night when driving the road to get to my house, I can see the red flashing lights on top.

Well, apparently that's all about to change. There is a 98 wind turbine project that is being railroaded through our area. There will be 400' wind turbines less than 2 miles from my house, and a transmission line that is already being constructed less than 3/8 of a mile from my house. I'm so pissed about this I can hardly see straight. I bought land in rural America to live in rural America, not to be surrounded by industry. Aside from the sight, sound, and who knows what other side effects of these monstrosities, my tax dollars will be used to subsidize this project. The power will not be used locally, it's a being shipped to the east cost so I won't even benefit from lower energy costs. In fact, my rates go up because of government mandated "green" energy. We are being told this wind farm will generate enough power for 60,000 homes, but it will take up a footprint of over 50,000 acres of rural farm land and communities. Sure there will be some tax benefits for the community, but is it worth it. There was an article that pointed out a school district near the wind farm to the north of us will be receiving $700,000 in tax revenue, but what they didn't mention is the fact that that school district has such a declining enrollment that they cannot even field sports teams. They have been trying to coop with schools as far as 30 miles away just so their kids would have a chance top play sports. You can't tell me the wind farm hasn't had a negative impact on that community. The worst part is there's really not much we can do as long as those few landowners are willing to sign the leases.

All this for a BS energy source. Without the government subsidies these farms would not exist. They could not afford to build or maintain them on amount of energy they produce.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Trade you an ethanol plant for some wind turbines.

3. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should be more angry with the landowners that are letting it happen on their property.

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't by any means believe wind farms are an eye sore and we have a lot of them. I embrace technology. I think the only viable complaint would be the noise they produce. At the same time I do get where you are coming from. Is the issue exacerbated right now because of the construction? Remember, most of all that extra traffic will disappear once the construction is complete.

5. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Oh trust me, we all are. The worst part is 3 of the 4 members of the zoning board in the township next to me all have contracts with the wind farm. Tell me there's not a conflict of interest there.

6. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    How many acres does an ethanol plant take up?

7. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would sell my house. You will have shadows flickering, extra noise and an eye sore that starts rusting. The value of your home will go down but the value of the land the leases are on will go up. In my area they get 30 year leases for about 10000 a year per wind mill.

8. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was in west Texas last week in an area with a lot of wind farms and oil fields. I couldn't figure out which one I would hate more to be in my backyard. A bunch of oil wells or giant turbines...not sure.

9. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    the only question is. Will hunting be allowed on all that land.

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    50,000 acres to supply power to as little as 60,000 homes. That foot print is insane. Wind power is not an economical source of energy. It cost more to produce and deliver a kilowatt by wind than just about all other sources. The only thing that keeps these companies in business is government subsidies.

11. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Same deal here.

I had always planned on living on this piece of land for the rest of my life. I put my blood, sweat and tears into building my home myself. Now, I'm second guessing that thought.

12. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    The federal government has millions and millions of acres that are worthless. Land that is managed by the BLM. A lot of this land has oil rigs on it, I wonder why they are being utilized for wind power production.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How many gallons of water does a wind turbine consume? 12-1 water to ethanol.

14. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really want either one. That's why I moved out into the country. My closest neighbor is a half mile away. That's the kind of life I wanted. Now, it appears I will be surrounded by industry. It sucks when 99 out of 100 people in the community don't want this, but we have no choice in the matter.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree double bites when you consider who actually benefits.

16. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Were the actual land owners against it? How much say should neighboring land owners have? If we put everything up to the neighbors nothing would ever get done. Nobody wants the turbines, or power plants in their backyard, but they are fine if they are in somebody elses.

17. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well they really don't take up 50,000 acres. They however may be spread out over 50,000 acres. Who said going green was cost effective? Missouri is late to the game. :)

18. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Missouri has nothing to do with this. Not a single kilowatt will be used in this state.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  19. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    You wouldn't be able to stand anywhere in that 50000 acres and not see windmills. That's the footprint

20. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Some are, some aren't but when your options are sign a contract and benefit or don't any your neighbor will, what decision duo you think most made.