Hunting in the suburbs

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How many people have stands in the suburbs? I have 3 stands less than 200 yards from my house. We have 11 acres with forest preserve butting up behind our house. We planted a food plot and opened up a spot in the fence for the deer to come through. Are the deer in the suburbs more or less tolerant of human scent, getting spooked etc. Share your suburban hunting stories!

2. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is a great question. I do both types of hunting or what I would call Suburban hunting and non-suburban hunting. Some of the biggest bucks I have seen on hoof have been in these suburban areas. Anyway to your question, "Are the deer in the suburbs more or less tolerant of human scent, getting spooked etc.", I would say in my experiences yes, but this does not make the hunt any easier. The reason I would say yes is suburban areas are usually smaller and getting in and out of your stand cannot always be done like you would approach a more urban stand. The wind direction and scent trail may pass over a deer bedding area, but I the deer are used this. At the same time, I know if your wind is not right from the stand location, a mature deer will still be aware your are there and not come walking into bow range. I still try to hunt as scent free as possible - no matter the location. ;)

3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Long Island bro!! All it is here is people , houses, deer!! Honestly, I probably have more people on my block than most people hve in their entire towns!! I love hunting Long Island, born, bred and raised here, its all we know!! LOVE IT!!!! Best of luck

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There was talk about this in another post. I'm the same way. I hunt both type of areas and likewise, some of the best bucks I've seen are in the suburban areas. On our farm the deer finally have become use to us going up an down the drive on the 4 wheeler or tractor to the point that they may just walk a couple of steps away instead of bolting like they first did. At my in-laws 10 acres in town they will just lift their head up to see what the noise is and continue eating. We can walk around, the boys can play and the deer don't mind but, if you even act like you are hunting or walking in the direction of the woods all bets are off. They know human scent and when it is in a threatening area.

5. myot

myot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do a lot of my hunting in the Subs and the only problem is mature bucks tend to go nocturnal easy in these spots
    we use cell phone transmitting trailcams to provide us with any info of when he is rooming around in daylight hours and we try and get there asap when it does happen because it only seems to last for about 1-4 days each hunting season and not always in the rut

Dan

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in the suburbs on Property #1. It is 40+ acres not too far from downtown. There are some BIG bucks there. I have killed a lot of deer there, but the bucks are still just as wary as they are in non-residential areas. It is easy to kill young deer in these areas and the deer return to normal activity sooner after the Rut. It is A LOT of fun!

7. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't hunt around the suburbs at all, but have buddies that live and hunt those areas. They always have good deer on film. I may have to accept the invitation and go to town to hunt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt a farm that's actually kind of in a suburb. I think it helps because I have hunted there many times with the absolutely wrong wind and still seen/shot mature bucks. I'm about 200 yards across a field down wind of a house and I think it's hard for the deer to discern whether they smell me or the normal smells from the house. In this spot I still try to hunt the wind but if it shifts or swirls I don't get overly paranoid like my other properties.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I live in an incorporated township, the other side of the fence is a "gated community" I spent close to 10 years shaping a funnel using the home locations that are from 250-175 yard away. They tolerant of people just not where they don't usually travel. Keep clean and use the wind and structures.

10. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the burbs 50 mile south of Washington DC My 24 ac is butted up on three sides by developments and the fourth is open forest around 70 ac that I can not hunt. Best stand i have is a pinch 80 yd from the house. I still only hunt the correct wind and try not to over hunt my little woods i setup three ladder stands for different winds and will use a climber on occasion. This year to help layoff some pressure i will hunt the Marine base up the road Quantico. First time up their for me. The deer will let folks walk by be in the wrong spot or stop and they are gone. I will say general noise they could care less kids traffic dogs barking. I think it bothers me more LOL

11. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You would be crazy not to! Go get em`

12. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been hunting and living in the suburbs for 30+ years, and in my opinion suburban deer are absolutely amazing! They know where people are "supposed to be" and are very tolerant of us and our stank when we are in our yards, driveways, ect. But if we go where people are not "supposed to be", suburban deer are every bit as intolerant of human odor as rural deer are, maybe even more so.
    Another example of how amazing suburban deer are. My neighbors have an invisible fence to keep their dog, and the local deer know exactly where it is. They will stand 5' from the invisible fence while the huge dog on the other side goes nuts. It's hilarious!

13. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One property I hunt is suburbs and it is my best spot! I've taken more deer out of it than the other two spots I hunt!

14. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to hunt a small private parcel (6 acres) in the "burbs" where I could count 6 homes from my tree stand. I killed a few deer there, but haven't hunted it in years.