Stand "theif"

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My neighbor has been helping me put up stands, but I'm learning that it's 90% for his benefit. He isn't rude, but he kind of sneaks in and out of my stands all the time. Yes, he did help me put them up, but i wish he works just say up front that he wants to hunt there. We do favors for him back as well. He's a very nice guy (most of the time), but I don't hunt, or ask to hunt his stands, nor would I be allowed to. What would you guys do when it comes to the rut and he's seeing all these nice bucks on my cameras, and squat on his? He's already complaining that his spot is
    Slow ect. He hunts about 400 yards away from him. He's not a bad guy, but he always does this right before the season. "Oh well my spot is really slow" I can't say too much because he truly has helped me. Last season in late January I had shot my 2 bucks out of that stand, he decided he wanted to hunt there. Well that's all well and fine, but after a week or 2 of him doing no good in there it was like 4 days before the season closer, he said he was done. So I went and checked MY cameras in MY field and he decided he was going to hunt one more day, he saw my footprints and flipped. My point is he has no problem being rude. I might just make up what is on the cameras. I don't know. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would say that you appreciate the help but you are trying to strategize, and you cant do that if he's slipping in your stands without your knowing. How does he know if you even want that stand to be hunted. Out of the 18 stands i have on my spots there is probably id say half of them that i only hunt on certain occasions. All of them are hunted according to the conditions. Thats just poor strategy to not be on the same page. "This isn't Nam, there are rules!" -Walter.

3. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would tell him that if he wanted to hunt your stands that it is only common courtesy to ask. Explain that sneaking into someone's stand is not proper etiquette and that you would not treat his hunting spots that way. The Golden Rule applies in this situation, Treat someone else the way that you want to be treated. He understands that he is doing something inappropriate because he is "sneaking".

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tell him you read putting poo on your stands helps hide human scent. That should keep him away.

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add. Good luck man.

5. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a cousin like this, if I take him to a spot, it becomes his spot.
    I do not hunt archery with him any longer.

hanging stands are like a neon sign......"hey buddy, this is a good spot to hunt"
    sharing known location camera pulls is even worse.
    unless I'm spotted in my climber, nobody ever knows I was there. :ninja:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't kinda funny how other hunters always think other hunters always have better stand locations.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have learned from my wife that honesty is the best policy. If you don't or can't hunt his property then don't let him hunt yours. It is that simple. I wouldn't ask him to help me put up anymore stands to start. Find someone else to help you or hang them yourself. People assume things are ok until you say different. You have to speak up and say what you want or don't want. If that doesn't work, buy a 4 foot bar with holes in the end and buy 2 locks. Lock the pole diagonally across the seating area of the stand from the bottom right to the upper left of the seat. This will prevent anyone from hunting in the stand because they won't be able to sit down during the hunt. I told the landowner (nicely) where I hunt that I hung my stand especially for the Rut and asked to let that area lie. He can do what he wants it is his property, but the stand is folded up and locked so he and no one else can hunt it. We had some stands and cameras stolen there last year and he has yet to replace his stands or camera. I have and I am not going to do all the work and spend all the money and him do or spend nothing. I know your situation is different, but don't be afraid to speak up. If you need his help in the future, pay him for whatever he helps you do. This way there are no ties. I hope this helps!

8. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Who owns the property? If you have rights to post and restrict I would do that....no questions asked. I barely let my wife sit in my stands :bash:

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch is going to give you marriage lessons again if you post like that.:lmao:

10. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good fences make good neighbors. Show him the property lines.

11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It doesn't sound like he is trying to hide what he is doing from you, so I would guess he thinks it is OK or has your permission. Nothing will change if you don't say anything. If you want to let him hunt on your land, just let him know what you expect. Which areas and stands he can use, and which paths to take entering and leaving, and to simply contact you to let you know where and when he is hunting. It is a relationship and like any of them communication is key.

12. Sound Barrier

Sound Barrier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I think you're a pretty nice guy and most would probably not handle it so well. Honesty is the best policy. Tell him honestly how that makes you feel, and ask him how he would feel if you did the same. If he still thinks its no big deal, tell him it is to you, and set clear expectations as to helping each other and what that means for hunting. Part of this is on you for allowing him to keep doing this and not addressing it. Confrontation is not fun but necessary sometimes. Good luck!