tree stand too close?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dtimm77, Sep 16, 2015.

1. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    where i hunt another guys hunt to. He has stands set up and said i could use them. But i find them unsafe for my liking. now last year i just carried my stand in and out. but this year i bought a couple ladders and will just carry my stand in not the sticks. now my question. how close is to close to set up. Im staying about 30 yards away. ive tried to find my own spot but every time i do, theres a stand. (ie funnels,oak ridges....) i want to give him respect but also have good chance for shooting deer. any advice?

2. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It might require you to walk abit more and work a little harder, but if I can see another hunter I generally won't hunt there. It would become super easy to over pressure the area.
    Where are you hunting now? Public or private land?
    If its public go deep and when you think it's deep enough go deeper. I take a early round about way to my stand, that way when all the other hunters are just making it to there's the deer they bumped are moseying away from them.

3. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To me its more of a question you should have with him, not us. I personally wouldn't want anyone within 100 yards of me...probably more! But, I am the only one who hunts my 120 acres, so I am spoiled. If someone would come in, say my stepfathers brother wants to hunt (stepfathers property, so if he says someone can hunt they can), I would hope he coordinates with me and we come up with plans to work together. I wouldn't mind if his stand was 30 yards from him, as long as Im not hunting that stand that day. I would hope the 2 of you could work together. Maybe text the day before you hunt and talk about wind direction and where you are hoping to sit, see if he is hunting that day and where, and if needed, pick another spot.

4. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    had the same problem when turkey hunting. the area is really pressured and have had folks set up right next to my blind and decoys. I try to coordinate the night before with folks who are camping in the area but other folks will come in before light and go straight to the hunting area and invariably set up too close. the solution I've found is to go where no one else wants to go...which is basically the middle of a swamp. But there are turkeys there. so if you can't work something out so you both aren't hunting the same place at the same time, you might try to find a place with game that no one else wants to go.

5. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The land is private land it's 150 acres 3 guys bow hunt including me. It's really 2 different sections of land. But I have permission to use both. And if he know where I am he will hunt a different stand. So we don't hunt next to each other. I've never meet the man before.

6. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, must have misread your original post. sounds like you just need to just talk with the guy and work things out so you aren't hunting close to each other

7. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you have never met this guy, I would leave a note in his stand to call you so you guys can work this out.

8. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely ask him. 30 yards is pretty darn close for most folks who aren't really chummy.

9. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On 150 acres...I wouldn't want anyone within 200 yards of me unless it was planned to cover two different trails from a bedding area. You just need to talk with the other guys...I would give a seniority rules leeway...if they've been there longer then you're the new kid on the block. On my farm 200 acres I blew up an aerial photo from my county tax assessors website...then I laminated it and marked all the stands...when my cousins used to hunt there you would have to stop at my barn, check the photo which whoever was first out there would mark their spot for the day with a dry erase marker so you knew where everyone was. It works.