Pretty depressed.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by CoveyMaster, Sep 15, 2015.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My Weim hasn't been doing very well the last few weeks, she's getting old and has some problems. She's had several lumps on her for two to three years. She's been getting week in the rear legs, figured it was just arthritis. I took her to the vet friday, she had an infection somewhere and enlarged lymph-nodes. Put her on antibiotics and pain meds. She's been a little bit improved. Today the white blood count is normal but the nodes are larger than they were friday and she's lost a couple pounds.

Loose conclusion is lymphatic carcinoma. Put her on prednisone and scheduled a checkup next week. Looking into chemo but I doubt we'll do that. Very sad day in my house today. She's been my best bud for 12 years. I knew this was coming in the not too distant future but it sure sucks. I'm a pretty hard and cold old codger but this always just breaks my heart.:cry:

2. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with whatever you decide. Losing a family member like that is so tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We just lost our 13 year old labrador. He had spleen cancer and after removing it he went down hill pretty fast. It's not fun, but thinking of all the great memories a dog has given you can help. Best wishes.

4. ERICWEST

ERICWEST Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain at this time man. I have a 11 yr old golden that has issues with his knee. Can't remember what its called, but he tore the muscles / tendons that hold his knee in place. He cant put any weight on his back left knee and has lost all muscle/mass in his back left leg. They told me that the only way to truly fix it is with surgery that would range from $4-5000. As much as I want to, I cant afford that. To make matters worse his other rear leg is more susceptible to go bad because he is overcompensating. I just give him some pain meds and anti-inflammatories so he can walk and have an appetite. Does not sound as progressive as your buddy but I know what you are going through. Best of luck.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that. We lost our family dog last year about this time. We had him for almost 14 years.

6. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear it :(

7. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just remember all the good times you had with her the past 12 years and make her comfortable, it's never easy.

8. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that. My 14 year old pekingese is starting to go blind and some days won't eat. She can barely make it up a 4 inch step. She's already lived past the average age for her breed and I don't expect her to last another year so when she passes I'll be pretty sad.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They don't live long enough. Its a shame. Sorry to hear.

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know that is tough for sure. Lost our chocolate lab 5 years ago. I went through this 4 times and vowed to never go through it again. However I am coming around to getting a new dog. I want my kids to have a companion like I did growing up.

11. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So sorry. I lost my lab last year and even though I have new hyper lab pup to keep me busy, I still cry when I think about my old one.

Dogs take up a special and tender part of our heart.

12. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hard pill to swallow for sure Covey... Feel for ya bud.. wish i had some words of wisdom, but I don't

All I can say is as time goes by --- you will remember your bud at times when you least expect them and :D

Maybe a cold morning with calm winds as a covey of quail flushes and you're the only one around to admire the beauty of it!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  13. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am truly sorry to hear that sir. I can can definitely relate and send you my heart felt sympathies.

14. BikiBoki

BikiBoki Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My heartfelt sympathy...I know that won't help much, but as time goes by you'll remember all the good times. Peace be unto you.

Bill

15. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Damn, hate to hear the news.

16. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that. My dad's gsp is 13 with the same exact thing. The vet just told him to make her comfy every day. Some days shes great some not so much. It's definitely hard to go through.

17. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    it's a testament to the long standing bond that canines and humans have in how much it affects us when we lose a 'family' member...

18. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That really sucks Covey.. I guess most of us have been there and have felt your pain. I am sorry to hear it, and hope it goes as good as it can for you and yours.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it defiantly sucks to have to put a dog down, if you don't cry you don't have a heart.

20. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I lost our Lab about 3 years ago after 14 great years. The last year to year and a half we kept him going with prednisone and other meds to help him out but the time came when he could no longer go and we had the make one the most difficult decisions a dog owner must but we knew that it was time and our friend of so long should not endure the suffering he was. My wife swore that we would not get another dog because losing him caused such pain but I persisted and we now have another great dog and when I got him she was very cool toward him not wanting to get attached but he is now her best buddy. It's amazing how much you get attached and the unconditional love that they bestow upon you. My best wishes to you and your family during this trying time.