Some useful items for self-videoers

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by DD/MO, Sep 15, 2015.

1. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I primarily self-video and I'm entering my 5th year of doing so. I'm always looking for ways to get better and perfect the craft. I was planning to use a main camera with a GoPro mounted to it to create a dual camera setup. Then I saw someone on here post their dual camera setup with a camcorder and a DSLR. I was also talking to someone else who's part of a show on the Sportsman Channel and he said they are now required to run this same dual camera setup. So, I'm jumping on the bandwagon with the camcorder/DSLR combo.

The benefit of this setup as a self-videoer is to minimize the chances of missing the kill shot. With this setup, I'll run the DSLR in a wide shot while zooming in on the deer with my camcorder using the LANC remote. Below are some pics of my setup with some useful (and inexpensive) items.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are two items that make this setup possible:

1. DSLR Kit 2-way Macro Shot Rail Slider: $12.50 on Amazon | All steel. Use the geared knob to position the plate to balance your cameras then lock it in place with the other knob.

[​IMG]

2. Vktech Black Camera 323 Quick Release Plate: $10.99 on Amazon | All Steel. This is a knock off of the Manfrotto 323 Quick Release Plate. It's 1/3 the cost and seems to be really well built. You'll need two of these.

[​IMG]

Other things to consider...

- You'll need a somewhat robust fluid head. I use the Manfrotto MVH500AH and it's just right.
    - The total weight of this setup (fluid head, Canon G30, Canon T3i) is about 8.5 - 9.0lbs depending on the lens I use for the DSLR. The Muddy Outfitter is rated for 10lbs but it's a little bouncy and sags slightly when extended all the way out. I've got a Muddy Hunter on the way which should be much more solid.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks good. I've been toying with the idea myself. I run the Muddy Pro camera arm, but it's a little bouncy with just my X70 on it so I can imagine it would be pretty bad with both on it. I like pieces you came up with to make it work. Let us know how it works with the Hunter arm.

3. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just got my Muddy Hunter in and gave it a quick test run. It's really solid for this setup. It sets up different than the Outfitter so it'll take a little time to get used to, but I like it.

4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a sweet setup. Been thinking about something like this myself. How much $ are you invested? Like for everything you have. Just want to have an idea so i can start preparing my wife for the sticker shock :lol:

5. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Refurbed Canon G30 = $800
    Canon T3i Package = $700
    Rode Video Mic Pro = $215
    Refurbed Sennheiser Wireless Mic = $455
    Manfrotto Fluid Head = $160
    Beachtek Audio Adapter = $85
    2 way Rail Slider = $12.50
    Quick Release Plates = $22
    SD cards = $150
    Extra Batteries = $250
    Muddy Hunter Tree Arm = $255

Footage of a giant buck = priceless.

I also run two GoPro Hero 3+ Blacks and a Browning Trail Cameras Recon Force for video.

6. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info lookin to run both myself I just fab a new setup myself I will get pics up soon

7. Last Stand Outdoors

Last Stand Outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, this is more sophisticated than my little go pro and a cannon camcorder I just bought. Very cool though. Thanks.

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man. Thats not as bad as i was thinking. Have you had any problems with refurb equipment? Looks like a good way to save some dough

9. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've made 3 factory refurbed purchases...Canon G30, Sennheiser wireless mic, and a GoPro Hero 3+ Black. All have worked flawlessly, I saved anywhere from 25-40% and they all have the standard factory warranty.

10. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hope this isn't a question I should know the answer to. Where do you get/find the refurbished equipment? I'm in the same boat with 4he the sticker shock for the wife. It sounds like the way to go so she'll buy in to it.
    Thank You in advance.

11. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just keep an eye on canon's page. They kinda go in spurts with the prices goin up and down. Sometimes you can catch some really good deals on good cams. If that's a brand your interested in anyway.

B&H photo is where I've gotten some other gear that's slightly used or refurbished for good price.

12. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    That is part of it. I'm not sure what the best brand is. I started really researching this last fall just before we sold our house. Well, we moved and since then have been working on the new, to us, place. Now we are getting close to where we like it so I'm back at looking at cameras again. Any help or suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

13. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    For the most part, Canon and Sony are Considered to be the best Camcorder manufacturers. Especially when looking at upper end cameras.

14. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the idea Derek, I went ahead and ordered them. Going to see how it works with my Muddy Pro. I have another I'm I'll try it on too. At one time, I almost ordered the one that Campbell's Cameras sells, but it's just too wide. I thought it would be tough to use as a self filmer. This is a much more compact version.

15. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    I seen the one Sony set-up that is for sale on here but I know diddly squat about it.

16. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great Idea. Ive never thought about this before...but Im looking to try with the GoPro like you originally were going to. What items were you going to use to run the Canon/Gopro Dual Setup? Any pictures you have seen of others? I love the idea of having a wide angle camera on the deer just in case.

17. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Be curious about this ^^^ as well.

18. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got my refurbished Canon G30 and the GoPro Hero 3+ Black on the factory websites. I found the refurbished Sennheiser Wireless mic on eBay.

The Canon G30 has two shoe adapters...one on the front and one on the back. When I was going the GoPro route, I was going to mount the GoPro on the front shoe (where the mic is now) using this adapter....

Revo Hot Shoe Adapter

19. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a pic of the GoPro version of my setup.

[​IMG]

20. Soggy McBottom

Soggy McBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How's it going Derek? Season two is off to pretty good start. Nice work!

That plate is exactly what I've been looking for. I saw one similar on Heartland Bowhunter and was just going to fab one in my shop. Didn't know I could get one on Amazon. My filming partner and I never self-film when bowhunting but I always wanted a second wide angle on the shot. Also with the quick release I will have easy access to the SLR for quick B-roll shots (birds, ducks....) Way better then it hanging around my neck.

How on earth do you guys get a sharp focus on a DSLR when self filming? I have fits with it when I'm not even hunting?