Great spot with a big problem - poison ivy. HELP

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by backwoodsbucks22, Sep 14, 2015.

1. backwoodsbucks22

backwoodsbucks22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I just moved to NH and have about 300 acres behind my house to hunt. There are 3 connecting overgrown fields that seem to be deer havens. Runs going in and out, ton of cover, ton of food, great shooting opportunities. Perfect, right? Nope. When I started scouting I discovered that the fields are literally riddled with poison ivy. Almost every inch of these overgrown fields. It would be the perfect spot to hunt but if I look at poison ivy I seem to get it.

What can I do? Are there any set ups (gear wise or some sort of spray) that will allow me to atleast pass through it and get up into a tree? I know I can hunt the edges but I feel like I would double my chances if I could get into this spot.

2. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The kevlar sleeve that Todd was talking about at the beginning of the last episode haha

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I walk through poison ivy a lot and it never gets on my unless it touches my skin. I don't know if this is true for all people. But, I never go in the woods unless I have on long sleeves and pants. NEVER! Doesn't matter if it is 100 degrees and I HATE warm weather. I wear gloves when I hunt and I wash my clothes after every hunt. So may be if you take the same approach it will work for you.

4. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a video not that long ago that discussed washing after you contacted poison ivy (oak, sumac). The reaction from poison ivy comes from urushiol, which I an oil. The problem with being an oil is that it is not easily removed with simple washing of the areas that it contacted, it needs friction to remove it. The video shows an example using grease, numerous soaps (hand soap, dishwashing soap, etc...) would partially remove it but to get it all, it needed friction (vigorously scrubbing with a wash cloth). I recently did some yard work where I contacted poison ivy and I tried it and it worked. I'd say, hunt it but just clean up good afterwards.

5. backwoodsbucks22

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I saw that video. Thats what I do. After scouting there I washed my boots and myself with a scruff pad and soap. Seems to have worked. I think I might go scout out there with some hip boots on and hope that I find an ivy-free tree.

I already know whats gonna happen... I'm going to shoot one and its going to die right in the middle of the ivy field haha.

6. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If that happens you will have to trail the opposite direction and let you buddy's "find it"

7. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can rip it out for you, not allergic.

Always wash your camo after hunting there then spray with glyphosate next year, Good Luck!

8. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm lucky and wouldn't worry about it because I've never gotten it! When I was around 12 or 13 I had no idea what it looked like and sat in a bunch while turkey hunting. The guy with me freaked out when he came to get me Hahahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can you spray it? I am thinking no since its in crop fields. But if you can get rubber gloves and those disposable coveralls that painters wear then go spray it with a weed killer. come back two weeks later. Then once all done toss the coveralls and rubber gloves. Just try not to touch it.

10. backwoodsbucks22

Dislikes Received:
    No crops, the fields have been taken over by various growth (trees, bushes, etc.) I could spray some of it but this is somewhere near 75 acres of it.

11. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if all bucks lived in poisen ivy.....I'd never kill any.
    me n poisen ivy do not get along well at all, and it usually wins.
    avoid at all costs !

12. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A few goats will clear you out some ivy free space in no time...

13. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wash afterwards with dawn dish soap. Works great.

14. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cut a trail through it to get to your stands. Or better yet have someone else cut a trail through it. Follow up with round up.

15. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if there's anyone on the planet more allergic to it than me; I've averaged 2-3 steroid shots per year for the last 15 years or so because of it.

Sometimes I just bite the bullet and climb a tree with it on it knowing I'll get a bad case of it because I'm SO addicted to the thought of that spot working out and it turning into a success story. Most of the times it doesn't. Rarely, in fact.

As I get older and (hopefully) wiser, I've just started staying out of the trees covered by it.

16. pohl-cat

pohl-cat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'm the most allergic person to it that I know! I also average a couple of shots a year. Over the years, my Dr. knows if I call to get me in as fast as he can. It will swell my eyes shut! The last few years while setting stands, I've tried to stay completely covered. Long sleeve shirts and something covering my head and face. Then I wear long rubber gloves, like field dressing gloves. I carry a change off clothes in the truck, and I'll change as soon as I get back. Then I'll get home and strip down and shower in hot soapy water and scrub! I know it's a process, but when a person gets it as bad as I do, you have to do, what you got to do! It seems to help. This year I only got a small patch on my left arm and I surprisingly kept it contained there.

17. Ozark Bowhunter

Ozark Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm crazy allergic to poison ivy! I'll give my advice. 1st - Walmart/Walgreen's sells a lotion called "IVY Block", could be other types. I've used this lotion and never got poison ivy again when using it. It's with the money to try. 2nd - Every time I get back from the woods, I shower and scrub with bleach. Last - If all else fails, burn the field and hunt next year! LOL

18. Stickit05

Stickit05 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also get poison ivy really bad. The thing with poison ivy is that it is an oil like stated by previous posters. Also it has to get into your pores, that's what starts the "infection". The best thing to do is stay away from it. Second is as soon as you know you have come in contact with it on your skin you need to run cold water over it, this will shut your pores. Dawn dish soap is great because it is a degreaser. Scrub that with cold water and you should be good, atleast that's what I do. Over this summer I put a stand up in a tree that was covered in poison ivy. I didn't pay any attention because it was such a good spot I was eager to put it up. Had it up both arms really bad, on my face, and after sleeping that night had it on my sides. The only advice I have is to spray it and kill as much as you can or stay out of it.

Or let your buddies help track like mentioned before lol.

19. BackCountryBlades

BackCountryBlades Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Out here in California we have tons of poison oak which I believe is similar to your poison ivy, it fills canyons and sometimes covers Fields. Do some research but I know you can build immunity to it by eating small amounts and or making tea out of it. I knew a guy who did this successfully, and I saw him pick a fresh leaf and eat it!! I also had a buddy who got it so bad so many times that he eventually stopped getting it, so building immunity to it can work, but I wouldn't even try it until you research and also talk to a doctor! Congrats on your new spot.

20. backwoodsbucks22

Dislikes Received:
    Haha im sure you're probably right but the thought of that scares the $hit out of me! I'd be interested to research it.