To shoot on opening day, or not to shoot?! That is the question..

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mitchp21, Sep 11, 2015.

1. mitchp21

mitchp21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have pictures of a great buck that's been frequenting one of my hunting locations. He would be my biggest buck to date, but I have other properties to hunt that I'm positive can and have produced larger bucks. So, if presented with the opportunity, do I shoot or pass this buck on opening day of WI archery season?!

What do you think he scores? He's very wide (20+), long brows, long g2's & 3's, weak 4's, good mass all the way out. I'm thinking low-mid 150's. Thoughts?

buck.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not very good at scoring but I know I would send an arrow his way!! Best of luck on whatever you decide to do!

3. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Me? I'd shoot him. Be crazy not to. But you do what's right by you.

4. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would not pass him up no matter what if I got a good shot, that being said I am from central Oklahoma and our deer don't make it that size very often. Best of luck this year

5. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ummmmmm...... no brainer IMO.

6. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot!!!!!!!!

7. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hell yes shoot him. He's big and would be your best buck ever....seems simple to me

8. mitchp21

mitchp21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Even if it meant you couldn't buck hunt the rest of the season? Including the rut?

9. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What he said! If hes a buck that gets your blood flowing and gives you a good shot, take it. Makes it better that you have pictures of him to add to the story. Youll regret passing while cooking tag soup in February. Not great on scoring but I had him in low 140s. Again, its not something Im great at.

10. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sure you could, just have to hunt a different state! Kill him then start planning a trip.

11. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I would be shooting...

12. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would shoot

13. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd shoot him. Absolutely. Don't count him as a dead deer until he's in the back of the truck. You might have a helluva time pinning him down, or another buck on another property for that matter.

14. JaminWI

JaminWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you don't want to, I'd be happy to come your way and try.

I always ask myself this question....if I didn't use trail cams and didn't know he existed, and then he walked by my stand one day would I reach for my bow?

While tree cams are helpful and exciting, I think they can ruin the essence of hunting to an extent (in my opinion).

15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't see enough of him from one pic to make a judgement as to his age or score. If I decided he was 5.5+, I'd not have any problem trying to put him on the turf. I try to adhere to the rule, "Never pass up on the first day, what you'd be willing and happy to tag on the last day". Whenever I pass up an early season buck that I like but talk myself out of...I jinx myself.

If I tag out early, I can always find other things to do. We have a lot of hunting season options open here besides deer...waterfowl, predators, etc...

As far as the comment about cameras goes, I disagree. I just see them as a tool and I know at any moment during season that a completely unfamiliar deer could run under my stand. If I so choose, I can go hunt property I don't run cameras on or even another state.

16. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd have to check my pulse if that thing walked by my stand. 20 years bowhunting I've never seen a deer over 120" .. I have almost the same odds of shooting a rainbow farting winged unicorn as I do that buck. So yes I'd shoot it

17. JaminWI

JaminWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Covey:
    I agree with you for the most part about cameras as tools. The last couple years we've had fighting within the family about certain individuals "calling" deer and getting upset when others then shoot them (or even try to).

While I understand it's a different issue, it's just kinda soured me lately.

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I didn't shoot that on opening day I'd be kicking myself on the final day.

Don't pass on the first day if you would shoot on the last.

All that being said, if you want to shoot him on the first day, or any day, you need to find where he is during the day. That 2:30 in the morning wouldn't work here :lol:

19. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You mean calling dibbs on specific deer and expecting others to let it go for them? Nice...I love it when people do that. Cost me a buck I named OMG and a neighbor killed him with a rifle after I let him walk twice and the person who called dibbs never hunted that year...I accommodated the situation because it was my boss, otherwise I'd have flipped them the bird.

Anyone that expects you to hold off on a deer because they want it, isn't being fair or realistic. My boss made it up to me afterwards but people need to realize before hand how unjust trying to call dibbs is. My case was a little different in that he actually owned the property but in a mutual club or family type situation that really sucks and would make anyone bitter.

All involved needs to realize how childish that is and agree on rules that there are no "dibbs" called. Bucks on an "okay to shoot" list should be first come, first serve to be fair to everyone. Stand locations could work off a draw system.

20. BikiBoki

BikiBoki Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Geez...nice rack and he's built like a tank -- I'd drop him if given the chance.

Bill