ST Standard125 and low poundage

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by frantic29, Sep 11, 2015.

1. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My dad is going to be hunting this year and we are looking at broadheads. We have been argueing about what broadheads he should use for 2 months now. I have tons of Slick trick 125 standards and I figure those would be fine for his set up and I about have him talked into them but I am just looking for a bit of confirmation. I really wanted to get him some Razortricks or something cut on contact but he is totally against that. The idea of having that blade stuck out on the end for whatever reason. He's been arguing for rage but I just keep telling him he's in for a disappointment with his light poundage. He's shooting 43lb at 30" draw with about a 415 grain arrow. The way his set up is we are looking at pretty much a max of 25 yards unless he gets carried away in which case all bets are off anyway. Should I keep pushing for Razortricks or you think the Standards are fine?

PS. He is a stubborn old man so getting him to go in any direction he isn't used to is very very difficult.

2. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the standards should be fine. I shoot 100 g with 26/60 and they perform awesome

3. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely have him use the slick tricks. I think for Rage he is too light. I'm at 54 pounds DW and i'm even considered on the low end for a mechanicl. This year I went to the Rage SS which has a more swept back blade to aid in penetration. Shot placement is key but at 43 pounds I would most definatley not use a mechanical. Any fixed head should be fine/cut on contact better yet and stick to 25 yards and less

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used Slick Trick Razortricks for years... love 'em.
    As you can see in my signature... I shoot 'low poundage' - hence only cut-on-contact broadheads for me, no mechanicals.
    I'm shooting Wasp Sharpshooters this year just to mix it up a bit.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Standard tricks will be fine. I personally think you are correct on the rage. Its a great broadhead but you need the energy for it to perform at its best.

6. archer2

archer2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My wife shoots ST standards with no issues.

Your dad will be fine.

7. jewalker7842

jewalker7842 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think your dad will be just fine. You are right on about the Rage heads though. He doesn't have the momentum or KE with such a low draw weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk