Cast Aluminum Options

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tynimiller, Sep 11, 2015.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Okay...plan on slowly building a nicer collection of stands over time (ain't a rich man). I know Lone Wolf, XOP and now Ameristep offer cast aluminum options. Any others out there anyone knows of out of curiosity?

2. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just created a comparison list for aluminum climbing sticks, but have not made one for stands.

no, I have not made a decision yet. the biggest factor for me? made in the USA & expensive or less expensive made in Asia... I suspect I'll stick to my principals and go with made in the USA as I did with my new aluminum stand.

I'm wiling to share the stick list if you're interested. I tried to paste it here, but it lost all the formatting and was a mess...

3. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LW - nothing else comes close!

4. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Please share. I'm currently in the market for a set of sticks, and would love your thoughts!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    lemme see if I can clean it up enough to get it to post decently...

6. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you!

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I think at one time they were the only one in the game. However, a ton of what I've seen first hand is XOP is basically same thing. Granted you'll always have fanboys of originals like Glocks or Colt or what not (to use a firearm example) but fact of the matter is times change and other quality competitors come forth from time to time.

8. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    Ty I ordered an air raid a week or 2 ago from d1cks. Got it for $180.
    Iv never been around a lone wolf, but it seems very similar.
    The casting isn't exactly perfect, but it doesn't have to be. The platform is adjustable by moving a pin up or down on the I beam, and the seat is adjustable via a bolt that can be screwed in/out.
    I haven't had a chance to set in it much, but I can say, the seat compresses heavily. It seems easy enough to attach to the tree.
    Probably the biggest downside to xop that I see is, iv been trying to get in touch with them about their new climbing sticks (that were scheduled to be released in June I think) for a week now and have yet to talk to a person. They have even seemingly abandoned social media at this point, as several have asked about them and been ignored

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  9. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    aluminium climbing sticks

man/model #pcs/set sectionlength weighteach totalweightasset dualorsinglesteps cost warranty madein

lone wolf 3 32 2.5 lbs 7.5 single $139 ? usa
    xop 1 32 2.5 lbs na single $32.50 each ? asia
    hawk helium 3 30 2.8 lbs 2.8 x 3 = 8.4 lbs dual $79-99 1 year asia
    muddy aerolite 3 32 3 3x3= 9 lbs dual $119-139 ? asia?
    big game platinum pro-x 4 21 3 3x4 = 12 lbs dual $79-$99 ? asia?
    muddy model 71504 4 20 2.5 10 dual $119 ? Asia?

the formatting is still ugly, but the info is there. it just won't keep the formatting even when I line it all up manually in the post. oh well. one of my factors in addition to where they are made is dual or single steps. obviously nobody fits my parameters of dual steps AND made in the usa. /sigh. the prices are random from the internet. some were sale prices from a month or so ago. I still have not made a decision. obviously if made in the USA ranks higher than other parameters, there is only 1 choice.

this should at least give you an idea of the models and specs. your shopping experience on the web for pricing will vary. don't forget to consider shipping charges also.

if anyone has any other models to add to the list, feel free to add or correct my mistakes...

10. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a big fan of LW and purchased multiple stands over the years. Not one negative thing to say about their products. Recommend them to others who have purchased them.

If I can get close to the same quality with close to the same product (with little to no noticeable difference), I'm going with the cheaper product assuming there is a large enough price gap and customer service being equal. No consumer should feel guilty about saving 50 bucks or more. We are not talking the difference of 5-10 bucks in many cases. I've checked out XOP and if I was buying today, would be giving them a serious look.

LW will not be able to command the highest prices unless they continue to find innovation that can not be duplicated...which is what made them so great the last 10 years and why we willingly paid the high price. I'm still waiting for the carbon fiber climber...and I will fork over the 1K to buy it.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly thing the explosion factor is getting the best of them if I had to guess. Many consider them the first true competitor to LW and it has got the attention of far too many for what is my understanding a rather small operation....who knows for sure though.

12. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks okie! I hadn't looked at the muddy aerolite. A bit cheaper and double sided...
    Does anybody know if they are the same as the big game aerolite? They look very similar...

13. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    I understand how that could happen , but in my opinion, if they don't keep up with customer service, they won't make it. And that includes having someone answer the phone and having more than 2 hours a day "office hours"

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    It will cause one of two things; more hires and better service or less sales and worse and worse service till business folds.

15. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Really? My best guess is that 99% of the hunting population have never heard of them. People who aren't on BH.com or AT don't have any idea who they are..........their only advertising I've seen is based on word of mouth on forums, and people that have received free product on social media. If they have growing pains now what happens when people actually find out about them. I'm curious if there is a storefront in the US that has their products in stock right now.......

For a product based manufacturing business, it takes a lot of capital, a leadership team that can manage that capital properly, and a manufacturing facility that can deliver on time and correctly. I hope they succeed just so it pushes LW to come out with slightly better pricing, but they absolutely have an uphill battle and the chances are slim they will make it based on the odds other manufacturers see in this space.

JMHO from a guy that pays full price for my tree stands. I can still buy replacement and spare parts for my 10+ y/o Alphas and get great support when I call them. I won't be changing anytime soon.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  16. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    Why the jab about paying full price? And complaining about how much lone wolf cost all in the same post? Entirely unnecessary. Does it say something bad about us that look for a better deal rather than for the most expensive thing?

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mean the floodgates are similar to LW or even treestand guys like Muddy or Ameristep...but I don't think they expected it to be this much. I would venture to say social media and forums have pumped more business or potential clients their way then they thought would occur. I agree though that this is a sign of one of two things, a lesson learned and XOP is gonna have to push through early struggles or they won't last long at all. LW may or may not have anything to worry about...but even if they do, legit worry is still a couple years away I'd bet.

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    He ain't that kind of guy. More or less Matt's a big Lone Wolf fan, and honestly if the only negative about a product is their pricing just sucks to swallow than it dang well deserves to be liked.

I've never bought a LW or any cast aluminum stand due to cost...however I think I'm gonna start trying to add one a season for the next few years and with quick sets (I believe XOP and LW both offer those) I should be able to have a lot more stand options with far less cost in the long run. I still love my cheap little work horse Guide Gear stands and don't have the squeek issues some do, but that may simply be how we hang them or luck of the draw.

19. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I say I pay full price, what I mean is that my opinion is not bought and paid for. I'm not on anyone's Pro Staff for tree stands and I pay for what I use. Didn't mean it as a jab..........many of the people that will chime in on these threads have a vested interest through sponsorship with one of the companies so I was just clarifying that I pay for my own stuff. :beer:

20. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    My apologies. I totally jumped to an incorrect conclusion. Iv spent to much time reading "kifaru vs kuiu" type threads lately