Can't stop torquing my bow!

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by shredder4286, Sep 8, 2015.

1. shredder4286

shredder4286 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey folks,

I've read articles, watched videos, practiced and experimented, and no matter what I do- my bow kicks to the right after I fire it. What the heck can I do?

I'm shooting a PSE Decree HD with a tru-fire thumb release. Draw length is correct, not too much draw weight.

Anybody else had to deal with a torque problem that wouldn't go away?

Thanks,

Shredder

Tstew86 likes this.
  2. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Work on shooting your bow, and not looking for your arrow until you hear it hit the target.

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you checked with a bow square to make sure everything is square and lined up properly? What about walk back or paper tuning? If you've done all of those, I would put a target up around chest level and practice drawing back, holding form, and releasing an arrow from just a few yards away. Don't worry about the aiming part, just concentrate on form and follow through. Do that 10-15 times and then go shoot.

4. shredder4286

shredder4286 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so follow through. That's a good point. Got it-

I tied the d-loop on after using a cheap bow square from wal-mart. Not sure how well it works, BUT-

I've been trying the "quick tune" from Archery talks "basics" videos. You just sight in at 10 yds, then move d-loop until the POI is the same at 20 yds. So the nock point should be in a good spot. Though I do question how well I can tune the bow when it's being torqued every shot like that.

Other than that, I did set up a chest-height target tonight and shot it quite a few times. I've played with my grip, cast spells, said prayers, threw salt over my right shoulder and didn't wash my socks for a week and I still torque the bow.

It's almost like I was meant to be the first archer to shoot an arrow in a "curved flight" or something. Who knows?

Thanks for the responses:fro:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean by kicking right? I think it might be a balance issue with your bow. What do you have for stabilizer.

6. jeremy421

jeremy421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was having problems with torque and my grip not feeling right in my hand. What worked for me was I took the grip right off, I've been shooting better than I ever had before. Not as pretty with no grip but my tight groups and no more torque issues makes up for that big time.

7. DSL_PWR

DSL_PWR Newb

Dislikes Received:
  8. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you use back tension that could be causing it and it shouldn't be anything to worry about if you can still shoot accurately. Even if you don't intentionally use back tension you still might be using it.

9. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The pse your shooting has not much grip nothing.to change there draw length correct bow tuned properly did you have this problem with any other bows ? Your grip low high or medium wrist , I have found that fast bows with short brace height need very low wrist and a little shorter draw to keep from torquing the bow good luck

10. shredder4286

shredder4286 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    By kicking right I mean- the bow twists to the right after I release. I have the older version of this doinker stab http://www.doinker.com/products/field

Jeremy421- Like the other guy said, I have no grip on my bow to take off, otherwise I would definitely do that :)

I think I do a little bit. It helps me not to jerk the trigger or thumb button in my case. Never thought it would have a negative affect though

Yes, this is the 3rd bow I've owned, and I've struggled with torque problems every since I started shooting.

The shop set the DL a lil short actually. I'm usually a 28, but it's set at 26 1/2 and feels right.

As far as tuning goes, I just bought it last weekend and I've just been dinkin around shooting in the back yard to break the strings in. The bow tech said after bout 200 shots, bring it back in to paper tune.

11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am assuming you mean twist like turning a door knob top limb goes right, bottom limb goes left. Are you shooting with a quiver on the bow? Do you have your fingers wrapped around the grip while shooting?

I don't have any side stabilization either so my bow wants to tilt right a little, but since I don't shoot with a quiver, that unbalance isn't that great, the more weight mounted to the right side the more the bow will want to twist right before and after the shot. When I draw, I release my finger grip so the pressure from holding draw is all that holds the bow against my front hand, this minimizes the torque applied through my grip.

[​IMG]

Without side stabilization, even if you have a good soft grip the bow is going to naturally want to twist right just from being unbalanced. The only way you can eliminate this is by adding side stabilization.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  12. shredder4286

shredder4286 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe rotating would be a better term. Both top and bottom cam- the entire bow twisting to the right; the grip being the axis. Sometimes this is very severe.

I searched the net last night and found 3 different recommended places to put the grip in your hand by 3 reputable archers. I'll just have to play with it until I find the sweet spot

13. Sound Barrier

Sound Barrier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At some point in our journey as archers, taking it in to a shop to get worked on is not a bad thing. Sometimes they can see what we cannot, and you might learn something in the process for next time. Just a thought. You need confidence in yourself and your equipment when you enter the woods. www.soundbarrierhunting.com

14. Philip Roney

Philip Roney Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I recently started in archery and every few shots I would send an arrow wide left because I was gripping the bow tight right after pulling the trigger in the release. (bow torqued to the right) My bow came with a wrist strap but I wasn't using it as I never read anything that stressed the importance in using it. Looking through Youtube.com one day I came across a video were the guy said that the wrist strap helped him because he didn't have to fear dropping the bow and he was able to relax his bow hand. he does put the very tips of his middle and index fingers on the bow for a little extra bracing.

I'm still getting use to using mine but it did help me. Good luck Hope this helps

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  15. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure your elbow is drawn directly behind arrow shaft.

16. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Any way you can get a video posted of you shooting a few arrows? Maybe from both the side and from over the shoulder?

17. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Practice blind shooting. Get within a yard or so, draw back, close your eyes and shoot. This makes sure your concentrating on form and not where the arrow is going.

18. matchking50

matchking50 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have you thought about an IQ sight. It fixed my problems with torque.

19. gurgs

gurgs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I do this every now & then too but what i find is that if you focus on the target and not the sight pin and consintrate on keeping your bow arm straight to the target until you hear/see the arrow hit /works for me.new to the game also.

20. shredder4286

shredder4286 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For some reason this site refuses to actually send me an email to subscribed threads.

I actually had the bow worked on time and time again by the tech and finally got my money back. It was jacked up from the start.

Got a bowtech carbon icon and really love it! Been shooting great with it so far- no more torque