Help me figure out what to do with this deer

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Keyser Soze, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello... I'm new to the site and new to deer hunting.... I've been hunting for 3 years now. We are just now trying to implement a better management strategy for the land we hunt. I've heard to cull deer with spikes like this bit I figured I would ask you guys and get your input too.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of us here don't "cull" deer. Shoot a deer because you want to shoot it or don't shoot it.

Besides that deer is immature, if the spikes are the concern...you can't tell anything about what that deer will turn into at this point. If I had to guess, I'd say he's got potential based on the spikes being so long.

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    you won't know the true potential of that deer until it is older, I would be letting him walk. Next year it is unlikely he will be on your hunting land unless you don't have any mature bucks around to push him away.

4. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok... Good deal. Well we will keep him around and see what happens next year. I didn't mean cull in a bad way. We all just hunt for meat pretty much but since we have the land, we have decided to try to implement some land management strategies to grow and hold bigger deer. I've heard shooting spikes and I've heard keeping them. Just figured I would ask you guys and get some advice from guys who know way more than me.

Thanks!

5. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We don't shoot anything with a rack inside the ears, its resulted in a definite increase in mature bucks. I also agree that tall spikes could mean a nice tall rack. He needs at least 2 more years

6. cyokley40

cyokley40 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have done the same thing for years. Mainly be cause usually if they are out side they're ears they are at least 16" wide inside. And it "usually takes a normal deer till around 3-31/2 to reach that. Like I said this is on an average scale. Not always. But. Then this year I have this fella that's no wider than 14" inside but the time length is awsome. Even has some palmation on his left side I know he's young but I don't really see home getting much if any wider. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441716174.607910.jpg

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    MY advice would be to ignore antlers for the most part and learn to guestimate age based on body build and features. It's a bit of an art but it's more reliable than using antlers to get any kind of an idea on age. If you want to manage for bigger deer, manage for older deer. They have to have time to express what potential they have and that 'time' needed is to maturity at least and five years old is generally where I feel they start coming into their own. Of course nutrition plays a big role in that too.

8. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^^ Ditto.
    I've also read that a spike, percentage wise gains more antler than a basket rack of the same age would.

9. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  10. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate all the input guys...

11. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let that deer walk. Unless you have a kid thats gonna shoot his first deer and he's the first one that presents a shot. Imo