My broadheads aren't making me happy!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by thomaskelley, Sep 8, 2015.

1. thomaskelley

thomaskelley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys! I started bowhunting after quitting 25 years ago. I am shooting a Mission Blaze I got last year. I love it. It was tuned where I bought it. My grouping with field points have been around 2-3 inches at 30 yards and I've been real happy with that. Then, yesterday I put on my broadheads and the same arrows are all over the place. One didn't even hit the target and flew into the woods. I bought some new NAP boadheads yesterday but I haven't tried them yet. What should I do? I spun my arrows and they seemed to spin smoothly. I was pumped about my grouping at 30 yards, now I'm worried about even hitting a deer.
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can give! God bless!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No doubt that your about to hear a bunch of different ways to skin the neighbor's cat.
    First out of curiosity, what broadhead were you shooting?
    Check to see if the bow is still in tune, field points are a lot more forgiving than broadhead.
    I like to walk back tune then broadhead tune.

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    KjKlump is exactly right. I hope youir neighbor has a lot of cats. lol

Broadheads hitting consistantly one direction away from the field points is pretty easy to fix. when they are hitting all over the place, that could be a number of different issues not all related directly to the bow. It could be from fletching contact, arrow spine/setup, or form.

More details would be helpful. Also, switching to a mechanical may or may not help. The mechanical may fly more consistant when compared to the field points but if there is an issue that needs to be corrected, you may not get the penetration you are expecting.

You will find a great bunch of guys here who are willing and able to help you sort it out.

4. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your bow is not in tune. There is also a lot of other things to consider. Such as wrong arrow, fletching contact and poor form. I would:

1 - Put you bow back in spec. After a year it most likely changed. Take it to a shop if you don't know how.
    2 - Walkback tune. Search for info. Lots on it and easy to do.
    3 - Broadhead tune. Same thing.
    4 - Come back here with questions anytime. The people here are a great source.

5. thomaskelley

thomaskelley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was shooting some cheap Allen broadheads form Walmart.
    I will do the walkback tuning and see what happens with the new NAP broadheads.

Thanks for the quick replies!!!

p.s. I haven't killed any cats so far!!!

6. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    THIS NEEDS TO STOP!!! Simply switching to mechanicals is not the answer. The bow is out of tune, and will result in low penetration with mechanicals because guess what.....BOW IS OUT OF TUNE. Wether he decides to shoot a fixed or mechanical head he needs to get his tuning issue fixed first. Not just bandaid the issue with a forgiving head

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What needs to stop is people half reading through threads before jumping in with their two cents.

You shouted "THIS NEEDS TO STOP" then proceded to offer the same advice that I already offered only phrased different.

8. WKYwhitetail

WKYwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is GREAT advice. I recently had a similar thread called "NAP Killzone Concerns" where I learned about French Tuning (Step Back Tuning) which adjust your centershot. Doing this helped me tremendously! My Killzone practice head flys and groups with my fieldpoints now! There are a lot of videos on YouTube on how to do this.

GOOD LUCK!

9. jody5252

jody5252 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    May be the type of fletching you have. If you are using short vanes, 2" they are not steering your BH properly I am not an expert, but I have been doing this long enough to know that with the 2" vanes, not all BH will fly properly, and you need longer vanes... However. Take Whitetail's advice and do some serious tuning. Good luck.

10. jody5252

jody5252 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    May be the type of fletching you have. If you are using short vanes, 2" they are not steering your BH properly I am not an expert, but I have been doing this long enough to know that with the 2" vanes, not all BH will fly properly, and you need longer vanes... However. Take Whitetail's and BB4tw's advice and do some serious tuning. Good luck.

11. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Try switching to Slick Tricks, G5 Montecs, or another brand known for good arrow flight (not mechanicals though, not yet anyways). I shot some old Muzzy broad heads that resulted in exactly what you're experiencing. My bow was in tune. There was no fletching contact. It was simply poor, cheap broad heads. I threw on some Slick Tricks and they hit right with my field points. If you still have issues with a more quality broad head then it is definitely your bow being out of tune.

12. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well that's your problem right there. Throw them away and go buy a pack of Rage 2's or NAP Kill zones...

13. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    or not:violin:

14. jflats123

jflats123 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the mission craze with muzzy mx-3s and they shoot pretty well for me not much of a difference compared to my field points and we have pretty similar bows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hey TK-

What is your draw weight, length, and arrow spine? Before we know any of that info, none of us (even the armchair pro shop techs on here) can even begin to get you started in the right direction.

16. thomaskelley

thomaskelley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    dnoodles, my draw weight is 60 lbs., my draw length is 29.5, and I am shooting Black Outs 350. I am going to weigh the new NAP broadheads today and then try the walk back tuning. I really think my bow has to be tuned because I was getting a 3" group at 30 yards consistently. So, my form is okay. I'm not the best shot, but I thinking if the bow is off or my form is bad, I would not have been getting that grouping. I'll do the walkback tuning after work this evening and see how it goes.
    I really appreciate all you guys advice!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  17. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, field points are very forgiving. When I was tuning my Faktor I could group out to 50 with field points but my first bare shaft and broadhead shots at 20 yards were 4" low and right. Both broadheads and bareshafts immediately bring to light and inperfections in your tune.

18. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    bingo

19. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, you're spined fairly well at least. That was my first concern. Maybe a touch heavy at 60# but within specs at that DL.
    A consistent grouping with FPs doesn't mean you're tuned. But judging by your most recent posts you are on the right track.

20. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Double check your fletching clearance, also. I had a Mission Venture and I couldn't use Blazers because they would hit the downward-moving buss cable.