Ahnu boots

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by trial153, Sep 7, 2015.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I need another pair of light weight boots. I find myself more and more using lighter weight hiker type boots even when I am packing a load. the boots i have now are lowa Zephyr GTX. I like everything about them, light, fast, super comfortable...and I can stalk in them up to the last 75 yards or so...now the bad. They dont last, I blew through this pair pretty quick. I would grab another pair however at 175 pair i think i should have gotten more use out of them. If i go with another pair of Lowa it will be the Renegades...

So that leads me to this question. Does anyone have any experience with Ahue boots or shoes? They have come highly recommended, but I am looking for some more feed back...thoughts? experiences?

2. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    these may be more than you're looking but were I packing a load in rough terrain, like a mountain hunt, I'd go with Asolo fugitive. have used them on a few trips to Afghanistan and they provided great support when hauling an 80# load. they are overkill for flatland hunting though, for that I use some danner stalking boots bought several years ago for about 120.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the reply! Asolo makes a great boot! those look like my Hanwags so I have that base covered, I can see how you can pack full load out with comfort. I am looking for something lighter in weight and support. How long did you gte out them?

I wasn't really clear in my post, I dont really have any budget for boots, its just that the zephyr didn't hold up. I dont baby anything equipment wise so i know i am rough on equipment. If i got another season off the Lowa i would just replace it with the same boot because they really are comfortable.

4. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    I lived in them for 9 months wearing them 18 hours a day every day and bought a new pair before going back for the next trip. I went with them because they had a great rep for holding up and lived up to it. some folks over there had the zephyr and they looked real good but didn't hold up that well but then most boots didn't hold up that well there. The two pairs of boots I've used the most for hunting about last 4 years are those Danner stalkers I mentioned which I don't think they make any more and a pair of basspro redhead cami ridge stalker boots that cost about 60 bucks on sale. I just checked basspro website and they have a similar boot called Trecker III that looks good at about that same price. I'm real happy with my redhead boots and that is the first place I'll go next time I need some.

5. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    I should have added those redhead books are still in great shape and expect a couple more years out of them.